or Connect

Posts by drblank

I saw a video of one car that's being tested and they had people walking in front of the car, but the car slowed down to a crawl and stopped at least 50 feet in front of the person. I think these cameras might sense too many potential problems and the car will end up going too slow on public roads and slowing down and stopping every little time it senses some sort of potential danger, even though most people aren't going to stop before a pedestrian 50 feet away.I think...
The problem is the reliability of these systems if/when they get massed produced and the level at which they are maintained by the owner. How many cars on the road are properly maintained?  I've been in a lot of other people's cars that have problems because the owner can't afford to fix them.  it doesn't take much to get into an accident and these driverless cars are going to require a substantial amount more maintenance.   Think of it this way, if the car is in...
I know, it's just that the headline could have been a little better written to avoid the mistake.  It's easy to not catch that little comma.  BTW, I got the quote from the link to the site you had listed.
Yeah, it's the comma that screws it up...... I know.  I speed read this stuff and that little comma gets lost easily. I think he could have written the headline a little differently to avoid the easy mistake.
Where in the Counterpoint stats does it say that Apple has 87% of the US market? This is what the Counterpoint article ACTUALLY SAID. "According to latest research from Counterpoint%u2019s Market Monitor quarterly tracker program, USA smartphone market reached 33 million units at the end of Q1 2014. The smartphone market grew a modest 7% annually but now accounts for more than 87% of the total handset shipments, highest ever." They weren't referring to Apple having 87%...
Apple isn't working on a driverless car, but there are universities that are using Apple computers to do it.  There was one with an iPad, but it's the rest of the crap they put in/out of the car that the auto makers would have to do. It's not some issue where you simply plug in an iPad.  The heart of these systems are the camera (expensive), more precise GPS systems, sensors and all of the actuators to monitors and control everything. It's just too costly now and in the...
These things aren't bumper cars at a local amusement park.  
 What Google is doing now has nothing to do with full scale production for the masses, they are just talking about their prototypes.  BIG DIFFERENCE. Look at Toyota, GM and others with their various recalls and that's just simple stuff.  This is logarithmically more complex of a system with a lot more room for error in the mechanical aspects of the system. They are talking about these prototypes. Google won't be making the cars they sell on the open market.   How often are...
This is different.   What happens if a car has a malfunction and it causes the car to be in an accident?  The auto maker gets sued.  They have infinitely more money than the average person with some auto insurance. 
They can't get this thing bullet proof and not charge an arm and a leg for it.  One little tiny little problem and that thing crashes and THEN you are REALLY F'd up.  Even a car that's maintained in brand new condition, which 99.999% of the cars aren't and there is STILL room for error. In a driverless car there is 0 room for error other wise people get hurt and then the lawsuits start piling up. I don't care how much money you have.  All it takes is one little electrical...