or Connect

Posts by drblank

Quality of sound is measured any number of ways and Nyquist's Theorem doesn't explain everything.  Why do different pieces of equipment produce different quality of sound?  top recording studios have done listening tests and they've changed converters when they find something that sounds better than another product they've already used.  So, I don't know how you can use a THEORY to explain how something sounds in REALITY. Have Nyquist give me a call and I'll invite him...
I think i was talking word length between 16 bit and 24 bit, not sample rate.
 No, I never said anything as to the reasoning behind it.  I only mentioned one was 16 bit and one was 24 bit to give a distinction on the different versions.  If I was going to list the actual reasons why, then I would have stated it specifically. But 24 bit is better than 16 bit.  Whether you have a good enough system to hear the differences, or hearing abilities that can differentiate the differences, then that's another topic of discussion. Have you heard a DTS Master...
 I didn't mention specifics as to why, it could be 5 different reasons as to why, word length could be only one reason.   It could be the converters are better, no compression, 24 bit being better than 16 bit, better cables used throughout the chain, better computer hardware, better mastering software, etc. etc.  There are a variety of reasons WHY, but I never specifically said what the ONLY reason was.  You are putting words in my mouth.  See the flawed reasoning on your...
I think you guys need to go to a forum that has experts on hand to answer your questions regarding 16 bit vs 24 bit in terms of recording and playback systems.  I think it's better to figure out what equipment you are going to compare as well, because there are top end converters and low end converters with completely different specs and differences, so what applies to one might not apply to another. There are plenty of forums that you can discuss this that have actual top...
No, I didn't even mention word length.  I think you misinterpreted what I said. No, I never said extra bits.  But if you want to go down that road, then we have to sit in a studio with the highest quality converters, monitoring studio and do our own comparisons, but I've read many articles by various experts over the years and some of them came forward after their initial thoughts and changed their mind between 16 bit and 24 bit.   Who currently that designs converters...
I don't know if you can make the statement that 16 bit and 24 bit are equal.  It all depends on the converters. Some aren't that much different between different bit levels, some are.  So, i don't like those kinds of generalities. But if the converter is designed properly, clocked properly, etc. etc. 24 bit will generally sound better, but again, the converters have a LOT to do with it.  Converters have been getting MUCH better and it's not just the conversion, it's better...
Most CDs, not all, have various levels of compression on them.  A lot of these HD Tracks that I have, I don't hear much if any compression being used.  That alone will make a HUGE difference, but we can't go back and have them remaster the 16 bit without compression. One thing I have been noticing is that most of the top studios that are doing a lot of the mastering of things I own have been going through drastic upgrades of equipment.  Most top studios have replaced their...
Let me ask you a couple of questions. 1. Are you trying to compare in a studio environment just the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit with everything else the same? 2.  If so, what speakers are you using?3.  What AD and DA converters are you using?4.  What other equipment that you are routing everything through are you using? Why do I ask?  The reason is that some equipment limits what you can hear and you might have some equipment that's not allowing you to hear any...
That's all I CAN compare.  I'm not in the mastering studio sitting right next to the mastering engineer.  I'm looking at this from a consumer level.  What I have is what i have, I can't get anything other than what I have unless I am in the studio with the original masters.  Seriously, I have CDs that I purchased, I convert them to AIFF on my computer, I download the 24 Bit version from HD Tracks and sit and listen AB each track and each track sounds better with 24 bit...