or Connect

Posts by drblank

I think the best argument for high bandwidth playback is to give the listener a better sense of realism in what they are listening to.Example.  If you have two instruments playing the same note or passage together, the way our ears distinguish one from the other is based on the timbre of each instrument as long as they are both in tune and playing together.  But if we have a large degree of resolution in terms of hearing these upper frequencies more accurately, we can...
 Here's a site that discusses "BEATING". I'm hoping that this is what you are referring to.  http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/beat.html
The reason why I asked is there are recording studio engineers that frequently use these NS-10's which are just awful speakers.  So I wasn't sure what people are using. Then there are a lot of computer users that only have $250 or less "computer speakers" that I wouldn't recommend investing in high res audio.  It's just to get some kind of idea of where the person is coming from and not to put them down.  I've had heated arguments with industry veterans  that have been...
 The topic is that Apple going to add 24 bit files to iTunes.  I don't think they are going to add 24 bit files that sound identical to the current 16 bit files they currently have. I think the 24 bit files will sound better than their 16 bit counterparts more often than not.  Obviously time will tell, but that's what WE the consumers care about. And what equipment we use is OUR decision.  Personally, I don't have the money to spend (or waste) $10K, $30K or $100K on a D/A...
Here's a little proof that theories aren't always proven to be correct.  What's the speed of sound?  Well, most people that know about sound will tell you it's 1130 Feet Per Second or they'll tell you 340.29 meters per second. Either would probably be correct on an exam.  Or at least they are commonly used numbers.  Some will even shorten it to 340 meters per second because it's close enough.  But the real answer is that it will change due to temperature and even altitude...
Well, you can certainly buy 24 bit recordings on a variety of sites currently.  You can get a great deal at Bower's & Wilkins site.  It costs about $100 a year and they post new recordings every month.  They already have a bunch of London Symphony Orchestra recordings posted in 24 bit, 16 bit.   HD Tracks has them as well as a few other sites.The biggest problem EVERYONE faces is how quickly these record labels can spit out remasters of older analog recordings and the...
So why are there so many different converter chip designs?  There should only be the need for one and it should be perfect. Right?  But why don't you just use the absolute cheapest A/D and D/A converters in all recording and mastering studios?  I would think that any recording studio owner would LOVE to prove that there is absolutely no difference in audio quality between 16 bit and 24 bit on the cheapest converters to the most expensive converters.  How come when Abby...
 If you are only working with simple wave forms like a sine wave, then it doesn't matter, but with music, we are dealing with complex wave forms.    So by your way of thinking ALL 16 bit converters A/D and D/A and all 24 bit converters regardless of sample rate all sound equal with complex wave forms.   oh, ok.  Next time I have a discussion with an engineer that does mastering for HD Tracks, I'll let them know.   I do know of at least one I can email and he responds...
Well, it all depends on the recording process.  You can get someone playing a pop song with acoustic instruments that's recorded in the same manner as a classical or jazz recording.  But commercial projects usually tend to use a lot more signal processing.  It's not the style of music necessarily as it is the recording, mixing, and mastering techniques used. Blue Coast Records records all of their recordings in the same basic manner regarding of style of music.  They try...
Bob Stuart is highly regarded by a LOT of engineers in the industry.  Meridian stopped making Mastering converters a LONG time ago and they focus on 2 channel stereo and home theater products on the market.  Well, I guess you only work with clients that only work with 16 bit recordings?  Sounds like you are very bitter about something.  I know studios that don't have lots of money always complain about having to spend more money on upgrading studio equipment and I...