or Connect

Posts by drblank

you want to buy an ASUS monitor instead of an Apple monitor?   I don't even want to spend my time researching another brand monitor.  That by itself costs money in TIME.  Plus Apple's AppleCare covers Apple's monitors when you buy them with an Apple computer.  I always buy AppleCare, so for those that want to buy AppleCare, just stick with Apple products and don't increase the number of "throats to choke" when you have a problem.   It wouldn't surprise me if Apple has...
nht, can you do me a HUGE favor?   Please don't use the term "meh".  I really don't like that word, I'm really MEH about the word MEH.  Thank you.
Well, when you buy third party memory and storage, it then depletes your mfg warranty and for many of us, that's not something recommended.   Now, what's the Samsung 840 SSD storage rated at in terms of speed?  It's not 800Mbps, it's more like 540 MB/s for read and 330MB/s for Write  according to Samsung's technical information regarding the 840 series SSD, so you aren't getting the same speed as what Apple is using....
First off,  I don't know what they charge in the UK, I live in the US.  And I have no desire to start converting US currency into UK currency. What you want and what Apple is going to do might be two different things and you need to come to grips with that. If you want a computer under $1000, it's either a MacMini or you are going to have to buy used.  The MacMini is still a decent value once they update it to the latest and greatest which hasn't happened yet.  I'm sure...
Actually, Apple prices have just come down.   They are also deploying more expensive and faster SSD storage than the PC mfg are doing, plus TB and they still have the best resolution screens for laptops. Sorry, but you are just NOT going to convince me that Apple is raising prices.   They just DROPPED the prices on the new MacBookPros, MacBook Airs, iMacs, didn't they?    MBPRetina got a lot more features and they dropped the price of both the 13in and 15in models.  The...
I never said it was.  What Intel is doing is kicking up the speed because you can daisy chain various devices in addition to a display port monitor.  They just want more bandwidth to connect PCI chassis/RAID arrays and display port monitors on the same data chain.  So you can watch 4K and do other data transfers on the same chain.
Yeah, 4K on a budget.  I'm sure Thunderbolt is going to be the standard for 4K video in the future. It's a chicken before the egg syndrome.  First they have to release the computers with the capability, then the external devices start to flow on the market.  TB 2 is a giant leap forward.  USB just has too many limitations when working with lots of large files, transferring back and forth with different devices.  USB is more consumer level. It's still useful, but TB/TB 2 is...
Here's a web site that tracks Thunderbolt products, they update it constantly, but there are probably some Thunderbolt products that have been announced that are not listed, yet. https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products Lynx, which makes AD/DA converters is getting ready to release a bunch of Thunderbolt products for the Audio recording industry.  I'm sure at NAMM and upcoming NAB, we'll see more Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 devices.
I look at the 21 inch model for people that are more consumers and the 27 inch are those that want a bigger monitor or are prosumer based users.  For the average office worker, 21 inch is plenty big enough.  Apple did have a 24 inch, but I guess they decided to have the 21 and 27 inch instead.  Just their decision.  Apple doesn't like having too many SKUs as it's more difficult to manage and ends up being costly in the long run. I actually wouldn't put that much stock in...
I am already using a Thunderbolt port.  I can use it to hook up to old Firewire drives, a Belkin Express port because I can't have any HDDs hooked up to the same USB bus as my USB DAC.  I have to put HDDs on another USB Bus.For professionals in audio and video production, there are lots of Thunderbolt devices, PCI chassis, RAID, etc.USB 3.0 is great for some things, but for others, it's not fast enough, not bi-directional, and isn't really designed for the same thing as...