or Connect

Posts by Alonso Perez

Yup, Austin is a good city. I'll give you that much. Texas is very big and Texas stereotypes don't apply everywhere. I just think it's funny that California is being attacked for the very qualities that made it Apple's birthplace.
Oh, and I thought a university education was for snobs and liberal elitism, and that Berkely in particular was a hotbed of communism, and so on. If I had a dime for every conservative insult for universities of that kind that I've seen, I'd be richer than Romney. It's really funny you think being next to Stamford and Berkeley is unrelated to "liberalness". Even the man himself declared Apple to be at the crossroads of Liberal Arts and Technology. If it's just a...
If small pixels were so hard, I don't understand why they did not make the display a bit bigger, say 10.5" or 11.3". This would still be a retina display, and the larger size would be a big improvement for media and images such as magazine covers, or plain document reading. This is a totally custom display anyway, so Apple could have made it any size they wanted. Also, a slightly larger iPad could have been thinner, by spreading out the battery more. (Power draw...
That super liberal state is attractive to the kind of open-minded people who develop new ideas. Ever notice the products all say "Designed by Apple in California"? The super liberal state is where the mouse was invented. It's where Intel, Oracle, Facebook, Google, Tesla, and Pixar are. Texas has an authoritarian culture that results in companies that don't think outside the box, like Dell or Compaq. It's fine for a call center or an accounting services hub, but not for...
Two years makes some sense for a phone, but I would hope average lifetimes for iPads are longer than for phones. I think AppleCare should be three years, just like with Macs, though the two incident limit is fine. Two years is just not worth it to me. I don't break my Apple stuff very often, in fact, ever. Not even the phone. My original iPhone was stolen, but theft is not covered. What I really want is three year coverage, to match my expected buying cycle.
If anything the iPad wants to be bigger, not smaller, especially with double resolution. An 11" to 12" iPad would be an awesome business tool and a fantastic textbook reader, and could exist alongside a 9.7" (or slightly smaller) standard res iPad. The 7.85" size is pointless. 6" e-Ink readers are on the big end of pocketable. 7.85" is too big for pockets, even coat pockets, yet it is a small size in terms of the current UI. It's not just a question of fingers, but of...
Because Apple is #1 now. It's natural, not contrived, that they will draw the most attention. Also, what Apple has been doing is pretty common. Nokia has been doing audits for years. Apple is one of the better ones, but it is by no means alone, and frankly none of them are that great.
No, they are not. That's why I picked them. Luxury items are high end MacBook Airs, not to mention Mac Pros. But I'm in a generous mood. I'll lower the bar to the iPod Touch. They can't afford those either. The Ferrari worker might not own a Ferrari (a new one), but every Ferrari worker can buy a decent car. That's the analogy. (Actually, it's closer to the idea that a Cadillac worker can buy a Chevy.)
Evil is as evil does, and it has been amply seen that unfettered capitalism is evil, as is pretty much any other unbounded human activity. Religious devotees of capitalism might not want to hear it, but the only viable capitalist countries are those that are willing to regulate it, just like the only viable steam boiler is the one that has a thermostat. Your baseless rant on the Times notwithstanding, there is only one thing that matters here, whether the story is close to...
I could agree with that if we would be talking about home-grown Chinese industry. But we are not. We are talking about our own industry moving to China. Apple and the rest of the industry essentially control the working conditions in those factories. I understand you can't, and shouldn't, try to make China into a Western mirror image overnight or over any period of time. But you can have decent working conditions. Here is a simple metric: if a worker making iPads can't...