or Connect

Posts by Alonso Perez

I've been pretty clear about the detailed explanation I'm looking for. What percentage, by weight, of Apple products does Apple actually recycle when you give them the product for recycling.   I don't need to demonstrate that the rMBP is bad for the environment. Apple, like every other manufacturer, needs to demonstrate that their products are and will be substantially recycled.
  The question is, what % is "the rest" and what % is recycled. It's a simple question. Apple does not say.
  Faith? No. That's for church if you are religious. Apple is a company. I say "trust but verify".
  That is the mantra, but mantras are just that. Reuse may not be practical when repair is needed. I keep my Apple gear running for years. My first gen iPhone till late last year, for example, and I replaced that only because it was stolen. It was working perfectly. However, had it not been working well, does repair of such a device make sense once it's a couple of years old? Not really, if the device can be recycled and the materials recovered. Consider that repair has...
  I'm not blowing smoke because I said clearly that we don't know what Apple is doing. I make no claims. I point out that Apple should state clearly what they are doing and what their intent is. The burden of proof is on them.   iFixit believes in reuse and repair. I think those are fine goals but I also understand that they are not always practical, especially for highly miniaturized devices. The recent iPhone fire involving a repair error shows that there are problems...
  I disagree with you regarding recycling, but I agree with you here. $599 is cheap. Very cheap if you understand what it's buying. And I don't want Apple to get too cheap either. If I liked cheap crap, they would have never become my favorite brand.
  If the standards need to be updated, then Apple should propose they be updated. If Apple wants to have its own standards, then Apple should publish them so we know what they are. Truth is, we don't know what Apple standards for recycling are. The questions are simple and Apple should answer them:   What percent by weight of an Apple computer, or any other Apple device, does the company actually recycle? What percent by weight of the retina MacBook Pro does Apple plan...
  Not so fast.   I've said before on this board, a product can be repairable or recyclable, or both, or neither. An open beer can cannot be repaired or reused for its original purpose. It is a disposable product. It can, however, be recycled 100%, economically. All the aluminum used to make it is recovered, so the production cycle is closed. No mining or refining are required (and their associated energy cost and direct pollution of water and so on) except to add stock....
  Apple's current BOD was handpicked by Jobs. They don't know how to pick "wise" boards either. They usually stuff them with investor types. Look at HP's board and see where it has gotten them. Wise boards are even rarer than good CEO's.
  Key difference between iPad and iPhone is carrier subsidies. By all accounts, Apple is still charging high prices, higher than competitors, for iPhones sold with carrier contracts.   The iPad has no such extra revenue. If it's $199, that's all the money Apple ever gets (and they don't even get that since retail isn't free, even on the Apple store).   I think by price umbrella Cook does not mean price matching. I think he means not leaving a large enough gap for...