or Connect

Posts by Alonso Perez

This is a red line for me plain and simple.   I don't really care about the products being repairable, or not. Modern electronics isn't really repairable in the old sense anyway.   Nor am I worried about upgrades. It was fun to argue with somebody who thought the new MacBook Pro was "crippled" with 8 GB of RAM. I pointed out that a current "non-crippled" Dell Latitude, their top of the line, maxed out at 8 GB.   So those issues are non-existent if you stop...
Mansfield has been in the company since 1999, but has been Senior VP for all of two years. The guy is around 52. Something ain't right here. I am not saying he was fired, but a departure like this, so soon after a major promotion, is rarely a sign that everything is OK. Somebody was unhappy with somebody or (hopefully not) there is a health issue.
  But there is a better than even chance that Bob himself disagrees with you, since Apple executives tend to be democrats.
If the story is true, score one for Browett.   I'll be the first to admit I did not have high hopes for Browett, given all the bad press about Dixon's and his operations (i.e. cost-cutting) background.   But if the recent wage hike announcement is his doing, then I am pleasantly surprised.   As for all you guys pathetically defending poor wages for hard work, in America or in China, understand that your approach is not only inhuman and demoralizing, but bad...
  Doing what?
  Yeah, it starts at 8GB. Really, how many people will find that a problem? It's a lot of RAM. Only some users, for example those who routinely have several VMs running, really need 16GB. And if you aren't sure, just spend the $200. Apple used to have ridiculous RAM prices. No longer. It's just not a problem.   On the MagSafe 2 connector (the real subject here), for the life of me I cannot understand why they are going back to the T format. It royally sucked in use (I saw...
  If so, that would make no sense at all and would be a real pain to deal with. Thing is, I don't see where you got this from. Can you point to a spec?   So far as I can tell, the only difference for MagSafe 2 is the physical size of the port. Electrical specs should be exactly the same, as there is even a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adapter.
  Agreed. I have a 3GS and it runs iOS 5 fine, not to mention iOS 4, which it came with when I got it. The 3G was the same speed as the original (2G) iPhone, while the 3GS is much, much faster. It's true it doesn't have the power of the 4 or 4S, but on the other hand it only needs to push 1/4th the pixels, since it has no retina display, so in use it's comparable to a 4.   What nobody on this thread is mentioning is quantity. There are a lot (over 33 million as of March)...
  I didn't stare at it. The lack of balance jumped out at me. I know that the top is asymmetrical. That's fine. The problem is that the bottom is close to symmetrical, and that just looks wrong.   I am not upset, by the way. I just notice these kinds of things. That's why I like Apple products, or have so far, anyway. I could tell that there was another maniac at the design end who was watching out for these things. So much industrial design is so careless in comparison....
  I think you are exaggerating, but what's on the video is definitely a step down in elegance and simplicity from the iPhone 4 and 4S. Maybe two steps.