or Connect

Posts by tundraboy

PayPal, eBay. eBay, Paypal. When I read about that case where eBay-PayPal ordered the destruction of an antique violin based on the buyer's assertion, and that assertion alone, that it was counterfeit, I realized that the people running this company aren't very smart and they just make rules and other things up as they go along. Stopped having anything to do with them ever since.
I was hoping Continuity and Hand Off would work on my '09 iMac. Oh well.
 You can have high pixel count on a small sensor footprint and suffer from low light sensitivity because the individual pixels are small.  Or you can have lower pixel count for same footprint so that the pixels are larger and low light performance is better (i.e. less artifacts).  It's all a compromise. Of course you can have both higher pixel count and larger sensor to get the best quality pictures but wait, now you need to make room in your smartphone for the bigger...
 Yes.  They don't know yet what the final battery life figures will be.  But knowing Apple, they will not release a product that has a ridiculously short battery life.
This kind of deal works only in an innumerate country where the customers can't even do the simple math to figure out that in the end it all costs the same and in fact the ones that seem 'cheaper' sometimes actually cost more.
   You'll be very impressed, then.  When it's time to pay, you hold up the iPhone to the NFC reader (or whatever you call it) and click.  That's it.  Payment goes through or doesn't depending on whether you pass the authentication requirements.  It's awesome, but it needs iPhone6 or Watch.  And no one knows yet if Watch will work if you have an older iPhone.  Hope it does, at least for 5s since it has TouchID,  but I'm not too optimistic.  
 Did you see the simulation/demo?  There is no image on any screen, there is no signature (digital or old-fashioned) to sign.  It is not the cashier's job to verify your identity or the validity of your card.  The whole point of Pay is that the secure loop doesn't include the cashier, Pay takes care of verification and authentication. 
 I wear a cheapo Seiko kinetic because I really don't like pulling out my phone and pressing a button, then pressing a button again and putting away the phone every time I need to check the time.  The whole process of checking the time for me takes less than a second.  In fact the only drawback of wearing a watch is that people who don't want to wear a watch will bother me for the time because they can't be bothered to muster the effort required to check their own phones....
The people who don't like the Watch, or pretty much any new product that Apple comes out with, all seem to be pretty offended that the product was not designed specifically for their needs and desires, and furthermore seem to imply that if your needs and desires aren't identical to theirs, there's something seriously wrong with you.   I like the fitness aspect and if Pay on Watch will work even if I only have a 5s, then it becomes really compelling for me except that...
 When you think about it, of course it's big.  They built a goddamn f*cking land barge, for god's sakes.  When has Apple ever done that?  This is Tim breaking out of the carefully delineated boundaries that Steve had mapped out for Apple.  Not because it was a mistake then - how can you call all those blockbuster products a mistake?, But because it's time.  Can't keep relying on iPhone and its allied devices for growth.  I suppose Apple is so big now that it has strike out...