or Connect

Posts by tundraboy

viz. my kegger scenario elsewhere on this thread.
The term "Google barge" just might stick around the way "jump the shark" did.  An expression to describe something that's incredibly stupid and expensive and yet got built.  Wary spouse:  "Oh no, Harold, that's just gonna be another Google barge that will sit in the garage."  Biz news headline: "Did Company X Just Build Its Google Barge?"   Really now, think about it.  A barge to showcase your products in?  What port is there that has the infrastructure that would make...
There are already laws against companies misleading investors both by hiding material information or disseminating false information.  99% of the time though, ridiculously high stock prices is the investors' fault not the company's.
It's really amazing what ideas people come up with when you give them a well-designed platform (i.e. stable, flexible, etc.) to tinker with.
Or ask Walmart from their experience a few years back when they tried to move their clothing lines a notch up.  Just a notch, to Target levels, mind you. It is very, very, very hard to move your brand upmarket.  You basically have to wait until the generation that knows you as a discount brand starts to die off and the generation that knows you only as a prestige brand to enter their prime earning years.  In short you have to wait for the market to forget you before you...
 I'm not against regulation in principle but this is not a practical or even sensible proposal.  Banning high P/Es is like banning stupidity (in this case the stupidity of investors).  And anyone who bans stupidity is in essence, banning himself, or herself as the case may be.
 Gnats that exist at the pleasure of Amazon.  A fig leaf that Amazon can point to and say "See? We're not a monopoly!"  If your competition consists of very small operations who are dependent on you for their existence, that's not really competition, is it?  Amazon can tighten the spigot on these 'competitors' any time somebody falls out of line.  You know, delaying shipment, downgrading product search placement, it's been known to happen.  Just ask Hachette.
It is plain to see that Amazon's business model is to sell at unsustainably low prices to drive out the competition and once the monopoly has been established, to start charging monopoly prices (a.k.a. Start gouging). Anyone who says that such a strategy is, in the long run, good for consumers and society as a whole is either an idiot or goes by the name of Jeff Bezos.
 Before you object to me anthropomorphizing corporations, be advised that no less than the Supreme Court of the United States has declared that . . .  corporations are people, my friend.  :-)
Encircle, then suffocate. Isolate, then overwhelm. Isolate, suffocate, eradicate. I'm running out of catch phrases. Up until now, I've always thought that Windows will always remain a fixture in enterprise computing no matter how successful iOS is. But IBM and Apple in partnership, they probably have enough pieces to offer a migration path for erstwhile Windows shops. It won't happen overnight but consider the possibilities. Would be quite karmic, the two companies...