or Connect

Posts by tundraboy

Thing is, at lot of people think the problem with the new iOS developer terms in question is either a privacy issue or restraint-of-trade issue when it's really a trade secrets issue. Privacy is the fig leaf that Apple hides behind, while Google has chosen antitrust.
I believe you are wrong but I am too tired now to tell you why. Read Dr Millmoss, most of what I would say is in there in bits and pieces.
Agree completely. Antitrust law is a bitch. Arguing from the Sherman and Clayton acts is not going to enlighten things much. The case law is probably more important then the original legislation. Especially after the courts shifted during the Reagan era and the focus moved from 'how much real competition is there?' to 'did it harm the consumer?'. Anyway, I begin to digress.
The devil is in determining when a monopoly exists. 100% market share is not sufficient. You have to show that the alleged monopolist has also erected barriers to entry that prevent firms from entering into competition with the existing firm. That is not an easy task.In Microsoft's case, to protect IE they erected barriers like punishing PC makers who preload a competing browser and other measures that (the exact term is) 'foreclosed' the browser market to IEs...
You're one funny, confused guy. First you repeat ad nauseam that Apple just shares your information without your permission. And now you hide behind the fig leaf of permission "Nobody is entitled to it unless it is given by the user." If you give your permission for Apple (or the ad server who is acting as Apple's agent) to gather and share it, then it becomes Apple's proprietary information. And so the questions are still relevant, you dolt.Just for your benefit, I...
Okay tell us about the mobile apps market. Now remember this, a dominant market share by itself is a necessary but not sufficient proof of monopoly. You can't just point to a 98% share and say aha, monopoly! You have to tell us how that dominant share was attained and maintained.You are claiming that Apple is trying to achieve a situation where "nobody can sell their app unless they deal with Apple". How this comes about is key. If it happens because of sheer...
You still haven't addressed two basic questions:1. Is Google, Apple's direct competitor in smart phones, entitled to proprietary information about Apple's smart phone customers? 2. Do companies have the right to choose with whom they want to share proprietary information? You seem to answer yes to the first question and no to the second.You cannot ignore those questions. Antitrust cases are typically very complex. That's why litigation sometimes takes years. But...
Nope you're missing the point. Apple's beef is not about placing the ads, it's about collecting information on usage habits of iOS device owners that can then be used to compete against iOS. AdMob can place as many ads as they want on iOS (okay subject to saturation and content guidelines that everyone including iAd must follow), and Apple is smart enough to avoid doing that MS thing of raising artificial technical barriers. What Apple is asserting is their right to...
Ha! Those arrogant pricks at Google are getting their comeuppance. They thought their success in one thing (and only one thing), search ads, was proof that they would be successful at everything. And so they chose to compete with Apple in the one area where Apple is far, far better than everyone else: complex devices for which hardware-software integration is critical. Now Apple is fighting back and tightening the screws on them and it's "Mama, mama, Apple is being...
I know. You'd think from the shrillness of the complaints that Apple has a 90% share on smart phones and computers. The only market where Apple does have an overwhelming market share is MP3 players and yet nobody is filing any complaints there. I'm with you, I'll take these investigations as a sign that competitors are running scared. And if you examine the allegations more closely, there's nothing there. It's pretty obvious that apple has very, very smart antitrust...