or Connect

Posts by RobM

Yup - thanks for that. Doesn't help me with my current concern, although I do appreciate the time spent in response. cheers, r
Thanks trailmaster - I appreciate it. What I want to be able to do is what I do on a Mac. Use the windows equivalent of Carbon Copy Cloner and clone off to an external drive. If the OS (XP sp2) on my wife's lappy falls over I'd like to be able to boot off the external using a fw pcmcia card. If that's not possible then yes, to be able to restore Windows back to operational condition as fast as possible. A couple or so years ago I had to reinstall the OS, it took hours - by...
zomfg ! rageous, outrageous ! Brilliant - prolly too brilliant. You've nailed it - What could APPL offer better than that - killer implementation of existing tech that would differentiate APPL from the rest of the market. I bow to your vision. Hail, hail ....
heh - well I just had to take IE 7 off my wife's lappy because she couldn't work with it. We're running a Citrix shell within IE and the bloody thing is just too flaky. Dropping wireless connxn at random - DON"T freak'n tell me it's driver issue and don't say it's because of Citrix - that would almost take the cake. It drops any connxn, even ethernet at random without Citrix running. IE 7 - another piece of ill timed and poorly implemented software. Bodes really well for...
Hi Jeff - I'm buying a MacPro soon. Think I'll continue to use an external fw clone for backup in the meantime, until they sort Intel out on eSata. Or do what you suggest - use an internal.
No offense intended - but it is my understanding that you can't boot from an external clone on Windows. If that's not the case, then I most humbly apologise.If you can then is it a licence thing - you need a different build of Windows or a server version ? Interested. As always i stand to be corrected - and yes I quite admit to be a Windows rookie.I have used Windows off and on - it's ok, just prefer Macs.
Kinda surprised this wasn't mentioned before - The best thing about Mac OS is once you have a stable install of OS, apps, third party plugin et al - you can clone it off to an external disc. Any problems with an update or botched install of something and you've got it to fall back on.8) Up and running within minutes, not hours as with Windows. Question: if you install XP on a Mac can you boot off an external or does it have to be resident on"C" drive ? Just...
Hi Jeff, think at the mom only one manufacturer supports this, and that's Firmtek - and only on PPC, pciX and pcie. NOT Intel yet.Might have changed recently, but that was the state of the play a month or so ago.And yes - op will want Pcmcia card.
Be agettin a copy of DiskWarrior. There are other apps as well but I've hung my hat on DW for so long that I can't be bothered with anything else for a good old fashioned workover. Saved my bacon many a time - and plenty of others out there. I use it regularly - at least once/month on my boot disc. http://www.alsoft.com/
See, see - look I don't care for all of this trickery. I know it means a lot for some out there. I suspect for many Mac users who just want the fastest machine we can buy, that much of this can just fly straight over top ... wheeee I want grunt - configure how you want - flexibilty. If Apple give you guys all this sli, crossfire stuff, great. So long as it doesn't come at a cost to what I want. apologies ... well a little anyhooo cheers and...