or Connect

Posts by Curufinwe

Hi guys, I've been gone from the forums for a long time (have transitioned to linux mostly), so I'm out of the apple ecosystem loop. I need help getting back up to speed to be a good counselor to my sister and her husband who want a new computer. I've been advocating a mac for them for years, and it looks like they are going for it. They are very price conscious, but need a machine that will burn dvds (sorry $600 mac mini) and has a good warranty. I suggested...
There was a very wealthy old lady in georgetown that wanted a swimming pool. She couldn't have one because of the strict zoning there, so she hired people to quietly dig one in her basement by hand, bag by bag of dirt. An instance of the mega rich buying their way around regulations intended to keep the tasteless newly rich from crudding up an old-money neighborhood. Georgetowners also didn't care to have the plebians arriving by public transport so they didn't...
Congrats on moving away from Microsoft, to Mac and Open Office. You can always try Gimp later, it's a great application, with a very different interface paradigm of independent floating palettes. It's not trying to be photoshop, which is why it drives photoshop people crazy.
try the averatec 1000 and 1100 series - they are a little over a thousand bucks, beautiful and have dvd burners.
I'm all for a subnotebook. Will have to go to pc hardware + linux if one doesn't show up from apple within 6 months. 10" screen and optical drive is possible, look at the fujitsu p-series and the averatec 1000 and 1100 series - the 1100 has a dvd burner and is 3.4 lbs. They are pretty little beasts too. If you must, apple can toss out the optical drive, but clearly it can be done.
Thanks! Not really working yet, but it's a start. After your command the resulting keychain dump is a huge text file where individual items are identified by plain text strings, but still seem encrypted individually. Wasn't able to identify which block is my secure note, but it may be in there somewhere. I am getting some errors on the commandline and it may be that I have to allow access to the script by sitting at the keyboard and hitting "allow always" - as I've...
Hey guys, I read an article last week about accessing my apple keychain over ssh remotely. I thought, "what a great idea, no more forgetting passwords!" but I have a problem. I am a little old school and instead of having each password stored as a seperate keychain key/value combination, I have everything stored in a big secure note. Does anyone know any syntax tricks for validating with keychain and accessing a secure note (rather than a specific key?).
I think that the networking beachball was the worst problem with osx up until very very recently. They seem to have really improved it in later versions of 10.4 (the finder doesn't totally choke anymore when waiting for a nonexistent server) The thing that I hate about OSX are the little things that windows does better or that os9 did better. Windows allows you to do more in a find open dialogue, like renaming and deleting etc (trust me you want to be able to do...
Yes, the samsung 213T is 21 inches, and gorgeous for about 100 bucks more. Just got one and it kicks ass. It is not widescreen though.
ARg!!!. . . . We are confusing HD and H264, (or maybe you all are talking about the same thing, and I missed the day we agreed on what HD means) HD is not a codec! My understanding is: H264 = AVC = Mpeg 4 part 10 = hot new codec HD = hot new series of large resolution display standards, either 1280 by 720 pixels OR 1920 by 1080 pixels across. Also either interlaced (720i for example) or progressive (720p for example.) Progressive means you are redrawing the...