or Connect

Posts by acslater017

It seems a little crazy that all this would come from a stolen iPhone, but lets keep in mind:   1) An armed robbery took place.   2) The suspect appeared to pull a weapon at a police officer.   3) There is an organized ring of smartphone thieves in San Francisco.   Of course, no gadget is worth a person's life. But as a resident of the Bay Area, I would love for these thieves to be taken down (and/or their organization).
  Oh come on. It's a bit more than "glass front and some tables in it".    Samsung Store (not necessarily Sydney) design choices that were not inevitable or industry-standard: -large open grid of demo unit tables -demo units with acrylic-encsased tablets displaying information -monolithic "library signs" describing each section -glass walls dividing the store into thirds,fourths, etc. -large edge-to-edge graphic panels covering the walls -bar area at the back with stool...
  Good to see that the iPhone 5 will run iPhone OS 4.0 
  Respectfully, I think you're going to be eating your words soon enough. There's nothing uniquely special about a 10-inch screen, and nothing terrible about a 7-inch one. In fact Eddie Cue begged Steve Jobs to get on board with a 7-inch iPad! 
  Besides turn-by-turn directions, Street View is probably the most useful feature of Google Maps. It has its frustrations, but it pretty much allows you to see how the place looks before you even get there. Sometimes satellite imagery is only so useful for finding that unfamiliar restaurant.  I'm HOPING 3D maps will at least get pretty close, but I doubt that it can replace street-levle photography. 
I think "catastrophe" is a bit of an overstatement. Microsoft deserves credit for being bold. But as some other posters already mentioned, it's as if they bolted two completely different UIs together (Windows Phone + Windows 7).   They can say "first!" but I think Apple will do the hard work of building one cohesive interface if/when iOS and OS X merge. Yes, I know Tim Cook has compared that to adding a toaster to a fridge. But they say a lot of stuff. The metaphor...
  Oh, the sky is falling. While I do concede that the current iPhone + iOS combo is a bit stale, let's zoom out a bit and realize that this is the same tick-tock pattern that's been going on for years. 2007, 2008, 2010 (and presumably Fall 2012) - major iPhone releases that result in a resetting of the bar, so to speak. A leaked photo comes out, commenters say it's ugly, then the real thing comes out and everyone has a simultaneous digital climax. Tens of millions of...
Hmm. One movie is "indie" budget, being rushed out, stars Ashton Kutcher, is directed by the "Swing Vote" director, and plans to cover 30 years of a man's life.    The other is big-budget, taking its time, is focusing on particular point of interest using Walter Isaacson's biography as base material, and will use a director involved in Social Network, Moneyball, West Wing, and A Few Good Men. My instincts are telling me one of these will be a much better film...
Hmm. I've been thinking for awhile that Apple might capitalize on the "iPod Nano as wristwatch" thing and branch it off into its own mature product: a wristwatch the tells time, shows the caller ID of your phone calls, acts as a portal for Siri, has fitness functions, and essentially acts as remote for your iPhone/Mac (in addition to iPod functionality). That would be sweeeet! If that's true, then perhaps they could return to the rectangular form factor for the pure...
  Wow, what an angry, uninformed post. A couple of things:   1) Apple practically owes its existence to San Francisco and its culture. Do you think free-wheeling, acid-dropping Steve Jobs of the 70's would've turned out the same had he grown up in Middle America?    2)  The US has the fattest, unhealthiest kids in the developed world. Not only are millions of them expected to live shorter lives than their parents, but it costs the US some $150-200 billion a year. Some...