or Connect

Posts by acslater017

Oh, the sky is falling. While I do concede that the current iPhone + iOS combo is a bit stale, let's zoom out a bit and realize that this is the same tick-tock pattern that's been going on for years. 2007, 2008, 2010 (and presumably Fall 2012) - major iPhone releases that result in a resetting of the bar, so to speak. A leaked photo comes out, commenters say it's ugly, then the real thing comes out and everyone has a simultaneous digital climax. Tens of millions of...
Hmm. One movie is "indie" budget, being rushed out, stars Ashton Kutcher, is directed by the "Swing Vote" director, and plans to cover 30 years of a man's life.    The other is big-budget, taking its time, is focusing on particular point of interest using Walter Isaacson's biography as base material, and will use a director involved in Social Network, Moneyball, West Wing, and A Few Good Men. My instincts are telling me one of these will be a much better film...
Hmm. I've been thinking for awhile that Apple might capitalize on the "iPod Nano as wristwatch" thing and branch it off into its own mature product: a wristwatch the tells time, shows the caller ID of your phone calls, acts as a portal for Siri, has fitness functions, and essentially acts as remote for your iPhone/Mac (in addition to iPod functionality). That would be sweeeet! If that's true, then perhaps they could return to the rectangular form factor for the pure...
  Wow, what an angry, uninformed post. A couple of things:   1) Apple practically owes its existence to San Francisco and its culture. Do you think free-wheeling, acid-dropping Steve Jobs of the 70's would've turned out the same had he grown up in Middle America?    2)  The US has the fattest, unhealthiest kids in the developed world. Not only are millions of them expected to live shorter lives than their parents, but it costs the US some $150-200 billion a year. Some...
  The cylindrical MagSafe adapters can tug the machine pretty easily. If you pull parallel to the left edge (basically just tug the cord straight along the direction of the cylinder) , even a larger MacBook will move.  The square ones are much more loose IMO, in a good way. As long as they've fixed the issue of the fraying cable (which I'm sure they have), this seems like an improvement. Perhaps as they move towards thinner designs, they also want to create a flatter...
  To be honest, the "Pro" moniker doesn't mean a whole lot. I'd bet the 13-inch "Pro" is their most popular model for students, teachers, and office workers doing nothing more than Office, Safari, and Mail. 
If they're going to differentiate it from the regular 13-inch Pro, then a discrete graphics card would be desirable. You're attracting customers who are willing to pay a bit more for performance and more cutting-edge features. On a related note, I wonder if such a machine could even run the Retina display at satisfactory performance using integrated graphics?  I could easily see them selling a Retina 13-inch MBP for say, $1,599 for the 256 GB model. 512 MB video card,...
Oops, that's what I meant. 4x the current 13" resolution. Thanks for the correction.
I was just thinking today that a 13-inch version of the new Retina display MBP would be right up my alley. I've currently got a 15-inch MBP, and would be totally willing to make the display real estate sacrifice for a 13-inch Retina. I'd like something more portable, but I'm a little hesitant to make the speed and I/O sacrifice of the Air.    I'm thinking:   13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (early 2013) $1499   2880 by 1800 pixel...
Dunno if it's real or not, but previous leaks pegged the new headphone jack to be on the bottom left (when viewing the phone's face). These position it on the bottom right...