or Connect

Posts by acslater017

The "if you see a stylus" quote is probably one of the most often skewed Steve quotes. In the context of his presentation, he was talking about the primary input method for the brand-new iPhone (2007). He was comparing it to the input methods of past smartphones, with scroll balls, physical keyboards, small screens, etc. So yes, I agree - if you need a stylus to interact with your phone, you've blown it.    That doesn't mean that Steve (or Apple) was adamantly...
Just FYI, the Samsung CEO's surname is Choi. His given name is gee sung.
Well, at least this is an original rumor. I love a good rumor as much as anybody, but I was getting a little tired of "Next iPhone To Launch In October", then "Launch in June" then back to "Launch in October" as if it was a new thing.  I didn't even know what in-cell touch panels were. If this is true, then the next iPhone will have upended nearly every aspect of its hardware. Display, body, touch panel...presumably new networking, processor, RAM, camera. Pretty much...
Yea but then you wouldn't be able to design your own.
Hmm...hard to know what to think about this. Does a drop in revenue mean that Apple's not doing anything with the technology? Or simply that it was a one-time payment? If $20 million is all that they're getting paid, that's a steal if Apple can use it for mass-produced items. LiquidMetal seems like a wonderful material. Strong, light, electromagnetically transparent (in some flavors, I think). That, combined with GorillaGlass 2, should make for some more durable...
I'll be honest, I don't know a thing about how cellular technology works (BTW, thanks for replying and teaching me a little bit). I would be satisfied if they just took FaceTime audio and let you initiate calls over Wi-Fi/4G. Or even just Wi-Fi (FaceTime without the face). Does the fact that LTE ping speeds are very fast address that throughput issue, or no?
I was just thinking the other day, that'd be wonderful if Apple created a high-quality phone call protocol. Less compression when you're on 4G/Wi-Fi or something like that. Regular cell phone audio fidelity is so unbelievably terrible - it's the equivalent of dial-up quality in an age of 20 Mbps cellular speeds and 1080p video. If they could get it up to par with landline telephones or even better. Most phone calls are only 5-12 kbps. I think those nice Cisco IP phones...
More than anyone, I trust Apple to implement this tastefully. I could definitely see this in future Apple products, especially iOS and OS X merge. This would address the dilemma of how to differentiate between a mouse-over and a click. That, or some combination of proximity sensors and haptic feedback would be nice, if done in a subtle way. In any case, this would mitigate the issue of using touchscreen buttons. Even veteran Multi-touch users hit the wrong buttons...
Yes and no. I imagine the iPad 2 now costs less to make than a year ago. Parts are not as cutting edge, and they've built some 50 million of them. This article from 2011 states a bill of materials + manufacturing is $336 for a 32 GB, 3G iPad 2. They sold it for $629, so they profited some $293. http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPad-2-Carries-Bill-of-Materials-of-$326-60-IHS-iSuppli-Teardown-Analysis-Shows.aspx A 16 GB, 3G iPad 2 now costs $271, and they sell it...
I didn't quite get it at first either. But consider what a person can do with the iPad that can't be done on other devices. For the non-tech savvy, it's super easy to film, edit, and share your photos and videos. Most people CANNOT wrap their heads around importing, sorting, non-linear editing, exporting, burning, uploading, etc. And I really can't blame them. I'm an intermediate Final Cut/Premiere user but I just played with iMovie for iOS the other day. I threw together...