or Connect

Posts by elroth

The joke is that you apparently thought this case would have an effect on Apple's stock price. Why in the world would Apple's stock price go up after this verdict? Expect the same when the ebooks decision comes down - no effect on Apple's stock price. More publicity, but no effect - there just isn't that much money involved either way.
You can check this list from time to time - there's a link to banks etc. who have committed to using ApplePay (at least with Visa cards) - "coming soon".    Visa - ApplePay - Financial Institutions | Visa USA  There are about 550 on the list.
The "expert" paid witness for the plaintiffs said the iPods were overpriced by something like $16.48, and resellers were charged something like $5 too much. So his figures mean about $132,000,000 for the 8 million consumers. I don't know how much for the resellers in total, but I don't see how it could get to $350,000,000. Of course, the real damage to consumers was a big fat zero, as in $0. Nobody reported on the testimony by Apple's witnesses that there were no economic...
Remember that the story we are reading is only part of the engineer's testimony. A Wall Street Journal reporter picked out a few statements, and that's it. There's no way of knowing the context, or how the entire testimony went. I wouldn't flip out over the engineer - he was subpoenaed by the plantiffs, and answered the questions. The context will be argued by the plantiffs on one hand, and Apple on the other, particularly during the closing arguments.   Don't rely on...
Looking on the Archos website, they have 8 different mp3 players listed, but NONE are available. I guess they must have quit making them. And FYI, none of the ones they list hold more than 8GB of content. They also (if they actually existed) would not play AAC audio. I have a Pono Player on order - it's too early to see how that will work out. It'll play many formats, including Apple Lossless, AAC, mp3 and FLAC, and I believe they hold 64GB internally, with a card slot for...
You're not being fair to lump them together, AND YOU KNOW IT. It's obvious Cote was biased, and would have done anything the Department of Justice asked her to. Koh was not out of line in her rulings - she was tough, but there was justification for everything she did. Gonzales Rogers likewise has done nothing to show any bias - she's giving both sides a fair chance in the case. She's made rulings limiting the issues and evidence plaintiffs can use, and it looks like she'll...
It IS really strange that a suit can be filed by people who weren't eligible, and now the lawyers can carry on the suit and try to find people who qualify. I think the judge is handling it correctly for now, but how aggrieved can people be when the lawyers can't find anyone who gives a crap about this case? If the lawyer finds somebody, it'll probably be someone who really wants to be on the Jerry Springer Show, but has to settle for this trial.   Out of 8 million iPod...
The more you look into it, the more aghast you will become. It's amazing the scams lawyers can use in these "class-action" suits. Here's one example: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2014/12/05/pirates-booty-case-collapses-as-food-makers-fight-back/
I remember when Real was an actual company, with its proprietary internet media player. It wouldn't let you play Real content on any other player (like QuickTime), and it was really annoying. NPR used it for a time for streaming stories from their website.   I wonder what Real would have done if a company had hacked their RealPlayer DRM.