or Connect

Posts by elroth

No, "factual estimate" is an oxymoron. It's right there in the definition - an estimate is an approximation, an opinion - not a fact. The statement that "My estimate is..." may be factual; a story that reports that "their estimate is..." may be factual; but the estimate itself cannot be factual.
That's exactly what the bill does. If you buy a subsidized phone on contract, when the contract is up you can unlock the phone.
Actually, it's the states' Attorneys General who are suing, so the states get the legal fees, not individual lawyers. That's why the proposed settlement gives a much higher percentage to consumers than most settlements (89% to consumers). Still, the amount to each consumer won't be very much.
You think if someone can listen to 90 seconds of a song they'll just do that instead of buying it? 30 seconds of a song is not very useful when you're trying to discover new music that you've never heard. It's okay if you're just trying to find a song you heard on the radio and know you want to buy it, to make sure it's the same song. But when you're looking for new music, 30 seconds can be very deceiving. This is a huge disappointment if it spreads to the entire store. I...
Instead of just plugging Amazon at the end of the story, you might mention that the hardcover is also available at many other book stores. You may get some compensation for plugging Amazon, but you're still somewhat of a news organization, and you could mention other booksellers. If this title were published by Hachette, would you still plug Amazon and its delayed shipping of Hachette books?
 No, it's more like patenting the idea of a flying machine in the 1880s, without specifying how it would work, and then suing the Wright Brothers because they figured it out.
Someone should tell that to the patent office.
Lots of bitter people here today. I enjoyed reading the story - I have no agenda like you do. Why waste your time like that?
Mostly a waste of money, more like it. Look at google glass - you can call it a hardware product, but its purpose is first to gain publicity (it's not going to be profitable), and second to serve ads to those dumb enough to buy it.
Lawsuits where Motorola demands excessive fees for standard-essential patents are pretty evil - Motorola has lost them all, and has been threatened with penalties by the European Union and the Justice Department over its tactics.