or Connect

Posts by elroth

10.5.1 and/or 10.5.2 ( I don't remember which) had several UI changes - particularly regarding the dock (hierarchical menus) and the translucent menu bar.
As I recall, the charges were dismissed because the original suit did not make the case that the stock price did in fact go down because of the backdating allegations. The judge dismissed the case, but said it could be refiled with new supporting evidence (the judge said the stock actually went up a lot in the months after the allegations). So it looks like these lawyers are attempting to only look at the first two weeks after the charges, when the stock went down. I...
My thoughts exactly (except I can't stand even the underlining). If there is anything like this I just hope it can be turned off completely. The automatic changes that Word makes are so frustrating and annoying. I've turned off all the automatic features I can, but there are still a few that can't be turned off.
Just because 10.6 may be Intel only, it doesn't mean Apple will quit "supporting" PPC. I'm sure there will be security updates, etc. There just won't be a new optimized Snow Leopard for it. I hope the software developers continue to support PPC for those who rely on it. But supporting PPC is different than actually developing new software (or a new OS) to run on PPC. I'm in favor of this direction (assuming it happens as we believe). Snow Leopard is for the future - an...
I don't see Snow Leopard as an OS that many people will update to, and that's not going to be its main purpose. As it's described, I think the focus will be on new Mac computers going forward, making them that much better - to really optimize new hardware with a mean and lean Snow Leopard to create screaming new computers. They can get rid of the parts of OS X that are in there for PPC and other older systems. Current computers will still work fine under Leopard (which...
Except for that little iMovie '08 boondoggle. After the Macworld keynote where Jobs so excitedly introduced iMovie '08, Apple quietly announced that the old iMovie HD would be available as a free download for people who wanted or needed it. (iMovie '08 could not fully play iMovie HD files).
There's a difference between 'percentages' and 'percentage points'. Apple gained 6%, which means that they went from (approximately) 7.38% market share to 7.83% (that would be a gain of (almost) .5 percentage points). Microsoft lost (almost) .5 percentage points. Assuming their share was 90%, they went from 90% to 89.5%.
You don't open a store somewhere just because you think you should be there. As others have said, you look at the markets, you look at the Apple resellers that are there, you look at the available locations, etc. Apple's retail store strategy has been brilliant - the most successful retail strategy ever (according to Wall Street). The most sales in the shortest time of any chain of retail stores. And you know better how they should do it? If you don't take care about what...
Isn't that a Chuck Berry song?
I'm taking the article for what it says - quoting "unnamed studio executives." There's always the possibility it's not true, of course, but it does reflect exactly what Jobs said after negotiations broke down (with the additional info on dynamic pricing). All the info together leads to the conclusion (for me) that Universal was trying to get $4.99 TV shows, then lying about it afterwards to put the blame for failed negotiations on Apple. Remember, if you use an iPod you're...