or Connect

Posts by markw10

I understand what you mean and I like how I can set up parental controls on each Mac. The problem I have is with devices such as iPad's and iPod Touch's there's a problem. As far as I know they don't allow website blocking. I am hoping with a future version of iOS they add some type of website blocking but for now all I can do is block the devices through my home network. Yet as soon as my children are able to connect to other Wi-Fi networks that presents a problem.
I have a home network that consists of two routers. First I have my cable modem that is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I tend to use that as the 'n' network for my computers so any devices using n networking connect to that. I then have a cable that goes from my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station to a Linksys E3000 router. I tend to use that as my g router and connect many devices that only have g wi-fi to it. Here is the problem: Because of a...
I like the new iTunes Home Sharing option in iOS 4.3 and have set it up for use on my iPad but the issue I'm having is with the computer end. I have two Mac's a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro, each running the latest version of Snow Leopard. I have set up iTunes for Home Sharing. That is not the issue. The issue is I of course have the computers set up to go into sleep mode. The problem is often when I decide to use Home Sharing on my iPad the computers are in sleep mode...
I had a drive fail recently and it was the 2nd hard drive in my system that was only for data. It was not the primary system drive. I have a 3rd hard drive in the system which is a Time Machine Backup drive and Time Machine backs up both of my first two hard drives. I just got the hard drive replaced so have installed it in my system and formatted the drive with the same name as the original drive that failed. Here is my problem: I earlier posted about how to best do...
When you do this does it show up as 2 separate wi-fi networks or just one such as for example when you log on from a Macbook Pro?
It seems there is the newer version of the AEBS which is simultaneous dual band. I may be looking for a router on eBay and it seems there are 2-3 versions of the current design of the AEBS. How can I tell which version I'm buying? Is there a different model # and a way to find out if the one I'm looking at is simultaneous dual band?
I need to purchase a new Wi-Fi router and am looking at several but am looking at the Airport Base Station. Most of my devices such as my Mac's all use N networking but other devices such as my Xbox 360 use g networking. When doing research on the Airport Base Station I read that when you connect G devices to the Airport Base Station it will slow down the entire network to G speed so that all your N devices really only get G speed. Is this still an issue? Does the...
Thank you. I just did that and registered a free account and installed the tools. Now I can start learning and developing.
I have just begun reading the book, iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners. In the first chapter it talks about joining the developer program and then downloading the SDK and installing the Interface Developer, Xcode, and iPhone/iPad Simulator. I began the process to do this but it appears to cost $99/year. I'm fine with that but it appears I read somewhere that you only have to pay this and join when you submit the apps and that you can download the tools before...
I need to do a complete hard drive restore from Time Machine. I looked at google but the information that I saw is for when the main system drive fails. The situation I have is my main system drive is running perfectly but a 2nd drive, a data drive, failed. Both the system drive and data drive were backed up by Time Machine. I already contacted Seagate to do an RMA exchange so I want to be prepared when my new drive arrives. How can I use Time Machine to restore the...