or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

Stop making stupid statements.Or, do us all a favor, and leave.
Damn. I should have trademarked it!
DED on! Brilliant blog. It addresses with depth and clarity an issue that I've been raising repeatedly here, every time that I've seen the likes of IDC et al trot out their nonsense. Theirs are numbers put out by fools, for fools.
I guess you did not read my post carefully. Or, if you did, understand what I am getting at. I am saying that convenience, not security, is what it has going for it (as currently implemented).
That implies that, at the end of the day, in the rock/paper/scissors sense, Passcode > TouchID. No way to argue around that, except to make a lame 'convenience' argument for TouchID.
I think that the current passcode override of TouchID somewhat defeats the purpose. I wonder if there could be a method that bypasses passcodes altogether.
Only two quibbles with your examples. In Example 1, you assume that the stock always goes up after a buyback. This is not true. Indeed, meta-studies show that happens about 55% of the time. They go up on average, but not always. Look at Apple's own buybacks shown in the story above. We know that there are periods during which the stock went down (although, the overall trajectory has been up, and that could be attributable to a whole host of factors including the buyback)....
If your investing philosophy is based on the greater fool theory -- to wit, "idiots who sold the shares" -- all I can say is good luck. (Just so you know, there is always a buyer and a seller for every trade, whether that trade happened at $395 or at $705).Moreover, if you think that everyone who sells their shares back to Apple sells ALL their shares and cease to be 'ongoing holders,', you may even belong to the group that you deride.
How would buying back at $97 be a 30% discount? Do you not think there's a difference between buying back at $97 versus $68?! As an aside, I am huge fan of -- and have argued for well over a year, in these forums -- Apple share buybacks. But at a reasonable price. You're welcome to go back and check. I am simply raising some questions, with appropriately worded caveats, about whether it makes sense at $97. Perhaps you should go back and read my original post again, because...
Um... what "30% discount"? Where did you get that?