or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

Apple's cash earns nowhere close to 2%. I am too lazy to give you a cite, but you can easily look it up in their financials.That argument made sense for repurchases with dollar debt since it obviated the need for repatriating cash from abroad and paying a 35% tax. It does not (yet) make sense with the foreign cash. I can only think of two arguments: (1) Apple is looking for a natural hedge for its non-us cash flows. (2) Perhaps there's something in the works vis-a-vis...
I think that's iff-y, and may not fly. (But I am not sure about that.)
Hmm.. Not a bad idea! A beachhead close to the Continent.I have to admit I like their accent too.
Then why not just use the cash instead? Unless there is some potential regulatory arbitrage here to pursue: i.e., use the euro-denominated bond funds to finance activities in the US, and use the non-US funds to pay the coupon and principal.I am not sure whether that would fly with the IRS, however.I am very curious to see what Apple has to say about this.
(I notice you added to your original post). He isn't the best when it comes to succinct-ery. For me, that's his charm.
Not entirely. I believe DED is spot on 99.97% of the time. 
Couldn't agree more. (Although, PED should be a little more discerning on the financial front..... sometimes his judgments in that area are less than well-informed).
Hmmm.... apparently, yes.... 
Curious: what are some of those faults?And to say it's 'decent' does not sound like praise to me.
Cannibalizing one tiny slice of the product line is not the same as potentially -- and unnecessarily -- jeopardizing the whole line.As to Cook's comment, I don't expect him to say anything else (similar to how Jobs used to talk about iPods vis-a-vis iPhones).