or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

I heard a Johanna(?) someone-or-the-other, a reviewer for some newspaper, on CNBC this morning. She said her review recommends that people wait for the next gen. But when asked whether she would buy one, she unhesitatingly said 'yes.' Go figure....   These reviews amount to a hill of beans, since most of them are clueless about all its possibilities (although Apple should not have shipped them without getting the software in tip top form -- that's a bit Google-esque).
Farhad Manjoo of NYT goes from 'meh, no killer app' a few weeks ago to 'the AppleWatch will change your life' in his review today. Sheesh.... Welcome to the obvious, Mr. Manjoo.
Your point about the Venn diagram is a platitude. I have no idea what point you're trying to make other than state the obvious.Leaving aside the fact that you completely avoided the questions I asked (you'll notice that I had the courtesy to answer yours), the article (if you read it) was premised on people who think that the intersection of the two 'bins' is a null set. Perhaps you should reread it before posting again on this issue.
Even if it was an insult (which I do not agree with, since I have not so far seen an informed, unhypocritical argument for why Foxconn is a soulless megacorp), our Mod above (see post #29) says that it is quite alright to 'attack ideas, institutions, and people outside the forum.'Incidentally, do you consider the characterization 'soulless megacorp' to be an insult to the people of Foxconn?Let me ask you a question more pertinent to the thread: Do you agree with the point...
I am sure you're right. I am not a lawyer, but I find this somewhat hard to believe. Can you provide a link to EEOC's policy on this?
It's way too time-consuming and expensive for Apple to figure out which felon qualifies and which one does not. Moreover, it'll end up getting litigated to death by those felons who think they've been wronged. It's best in these types of situations to have a clean, unambiguous policy. Tough.
Within five years of release, the rate of recidivism in the US is 76.6%. http://www.nij.gov/topics/corrections/recidivism/pages/welcome.aspx That number's good enough for me to say that companies like Apple should not take the chance with felons when it comes to sensitive projects. An important goal that society has in meting out justice against convicted criminals is deterrence. By that token, perhaps this send a message that if you want certain types of jobs, you should...
Btw, how do I know that slams against the Right -- e.g., Fox News, Tea Party -- rarely elicit a peep on AI? I have done it myself, and not one Mod has ever bothered.   Therefore, it occurs to me that my comment must have been flagged. Clearly by someone who was sooooo offended because of the phrase "illiterate Left" and could not tell the difference between the reference to "those on the Left who are illiterate" versus their assumption that I must have meant "all Left is...
I did not say 'outrage', but rather 'selective outrage'. Please don't misstate my words. Attacks against the Right (btw, I view myself as not being on either side) are almost never deleted in this Forum. I've been here for nearly a decade, and know what I am talking about. Slams against Fox, Limbaugh, Southerners, Tea Party etc are par for the course on AI. That is simply a fact.As to my original post being an 'insult', I couldn't disagree more. And, apparently, four...