or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

Final stage before mass production? Wow. You don't say.....
One of my favorite quotes of all time: "Reality. What a concept." -- Robin Williams
While I agree that sexual harrassment is a serious and real issue, you are just insanely (and sanctimoniously) overgeneralizing here. And, you're far from the only person who has "spoken directly to women" on this issue.You're simply conflating things.
Umm... value is what you can sell a stock for in the stock market. PED and his followers are trying to be too clever by half here. If Apple's high pre-split was $700, then the post-split high is $100. That's really all there is to it. The rest -- how EPS is measured, how the PE is calculated, what the PEG is, whether shares were repurchased or not -- is irrelevant except for fancy-sounding market commentary that (consciously or not) pulls the wool over investors' eyes. If...
 I am afraid you're making rather strong statements here. The P/E ratio is simply a consequence of the observed stock price and the measured EPS (which, I agree, can be calculated incorrectly). It's current level can influence the stock price over some time horizon (which no one can predict) if we have a good idea of what risk-equivalent PE ratios are and we think markets are not reflecting prices efficiently. As to the 'PEG ratio' (I low they're thrown around a lot by...
Taxes were actually irrelevant to my question. If capital gains are zero at $100, then the all time high (rounding off) is $100 (post-split), not $110. Period.  PED's headline, for the record, was: "Math error in Apple's favor: Its all-time high was $110, not $100."  I am afraid that (and its repetition) is nonsense. 
Well, RadarTheKat, let me repost my question to Sacto Joe: I am having difficulty understanding this (and PED's) argument. Since you seem so confident about PED's argument, perhaps you can explain: If I bought and held my Apple shares, at say, $X (<$700; pick your number), and sold now at $100, how is my capital gain, and therefore, the taxes I have to pay on it, measured? For example, suppose 'T' is the tax rate. Would my tax bill on the sale of each share bought be...
I am having difficulty understanding this (and PED's) argument. Since you seem so confident about PED's argument, perhaps you can explain: If I bought and held my Apple shares, at say, $X (<$700; pick your number), and sold now at $100, how is my capital gain, and therefore, the taxes I have to pay on it, measured? For example, suppose 'T' is the tax rate. Would my tax bill on the sale of each share bought be calculated on the basis of ($100×7 – X)×(T), or ($110×7 –...
Ooh... this is not going to be a pleasant thread....  (added smiley)
I think that, if there's any 'over'representation, it's among Asians, who constitute just a little over 5% of the population (there's a similar issue in many university populations). Hispanics are about 17% of the country, and blacks 13%. That said, Asians in the US also tend to be disproportionately more educated than the rest, making them a more natural fit for tech businesses. Even though Apple could -- and probably will -- be more proactive under Cook, you do have to...