or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

Really? What 'law' was it that they were violating? Whose law? Where can I find it?By your definition, were 'native' Americans illegal too? By when were they not? Why?
Flies "it"? What's is "it"?Did you look at the link? Surely you are able to read, right?
No, it was meddling, pure and simple, to make a political point and to pander to a particular political base. Private businesses need no 'protecting' on this front. If someone refused on account of their religion or whatever and a customer disapproved, the appropriate place to test its consistency with our rights would be the courts.
Um... http://www.religionfacts.com/symbols/swastika
Sure, they can. But I think the issue there was the intrusive -- and unnecessary -- legislation by some right-wing governors that was clearly in the nature of political meddling into what private businesses could or could not do.
I think you answered many of your own questions!  I think that, at a minimum, enabling a high level of interactivity -- incl. text, voice, video -- between teacher and student (and among students themselves), allowing flexibility in course design (e.g., a math course is often designed very differently from a humanities course; an engineering course is designed very differently from a medical school course), enabling student uploads of course material such as assignments,...
 I am truly ambivalent about this whole business of banning symbols (e.g., flags, logos), as well as people's attachment to or revulsion at their meaning based on perception rather than intent. But I side with Apple on this one. As a private company, Apple is within its rights to do it. But once this started, and companies like Amazon, Walmart, etc. piled on (I am sure there'll be many more), Apple had no choice but to go along. Especially given its app curating history,...
This is not the case anymore in the education industry. There has been a dramatic transformation. I see as many -- if not more -- Macs as I do PCs. Almost all of the key learning platforms -- Blackboard, Canvas, etc -- are completely OS- and device-agnostic (but only successful to varying degrees on implementing that goal, however). The primary versions of all these course software platforms are web-based, so it doesn't matter whether you have OSX or Windows or something...
The content on iTunes U can be quite good. I was referring to the quality of the learning platform. For example, there's tons of fabulous free content on MOOCs such as EdX, or on Stanford or MIT portals, but the interface on all of them is rather low-quality. Apple could be so much better -- and significantly raise the bar -- in this space. For example, they could work with a few universities or faculty to try and design a completely new and different learning platform....
I really am not in charge for keeping count of how many people argue for or against a particular issue in this Forum, so how would I know? Sounds to me like you may have an ax to grind vis-a-vis the Mac Mini getting updated or people posting about that in this Forum. I am really not sure what that has to do with my views on iTunes U. Sorry if that sounds brusque.