or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

Hey, look, you're the one strutting about these boards as though you're some type of finance guru, berating people for their stupidity and their ignorance of finance (what me to cut and paste quotes?).First, if you're a serious investor, you would examine prices and returns every which way. Not just some '10-year' number.Second, you would want to benchmark it -- you'd want to assess him on the excess returns he earned relative to that benchmark, after adjusting for the...
Whatever they do hardware-wise, let's hope for a new interface.   The current one has evolved to a mess.
Groanz.... notz anotherz onez....
That’s the simple bottom line, if you trust Apple management. I do. (Although I believe that they really need to do a much better job of managing Wall Street expectations – they’re doing a p!$$-poor job on that front, IMHO). A guy like Icahn has no business giving advice to Apple. In fact, given his company’s pathetic stock performance (relative to Apple’s), it is laughable and arrogant for him to presume to do that. See my reply to sog35 here, for more on Icahn's stock v....
It is not always imprudent to take on additional debt. It depends on the level. To answer your question, it can be quite bad to take on debt beyond a certain level because: It increases the risk of financial distress; It increases financial risk to shareholders because they're pushed down in priority in terms of claims to the firm's cash flows (ore precisely, their expected returns go up because – sorry to get technical – their ‘equity ß' (but not the asset ß) goes...
Ridiculous courts, and a ridiculous waste of time.    Apple should just get rid of the business and save itself the grief.
Um… compared to Apple, his performance is pathetic (see post #52 above). Someone like him has no business giving advice to Apple. (Looks like he finally realized that, and declared a victory by making a virtue out of a necessity).
Taken by itself, that sure does sound impressive. But the problem is, it just cherry-picks  a random starting point that is tilted in Icahn’s favor. Moreover, it provides no benchmark. Here’s a comparison of IEP to AAPL, for various periods (all data from Yahoo!Finance for IEP v. AAPL): Return since Jan 2001:IEP +1027%AAPL +5500% 10-year return:IEP +564%AAPL +4500% 7-year return:IEP –1.15%AAPL: +510% 5-year return:IEP +224%AAPL +425% Which stock would you have rather...
Ah, I thought you might bring that up. Spurious for a number of reasons. I'll reply in detail later today (unfortunately, I am caught up with all sorts of throughout today, so I will get to it late afternoon). Promise.
I never seem to get a reply to these questions from the Icahn-ites. :-/