or Connect

Posts by anantksundaram

For all of you accusing folks of racism on this thread, let me ask you: do you think this thread would have been all that different in tone and opinion if Apple had appointed Lady Gaga as special adviser to Tim Cook? Eminem? Justin Bieber? Miley Cyrus? Remember all the (justifiable) cackling here when Blackberry appointed Alicia Keys (or whoever) as their Creative Officer? Grow up. If any of these rumors -- that's all they are, now -- are remotely true, it is a...
Cannibalizing potential iPhone sales?! No way.
Yeah, sure...
Did you forget your meds today? Add: The trouble with folks like you, caught up in your class warfare rhetoric, is that you cherry pick the facts, ignoring the simple reality that it's not only Tesla that gets the $7,500 subsidy, but the lower-priced, more 'middle-class' Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt too.
If you're telling me that a $500B company like Apple, a company responsible for one of the most radical reinventions and redefinitions of the music industry in decades, doesn't have the internal talent to take on a task like the one you're getting at any better than a headphones maker and start-up streaming service, then Apple has far worse problems that I thought.
The market is giving Apple a solid thumping today. Market values loss ~$6B.   I have little doubt that it's over this silly, ill-conceived 'strategy.'Let's hope Cook is listening to the massively negative commentary and stock market verdict before settling on anything.
I'll report the piece that I added to my previous reply: As to 'government subsidies,' quite apart from the fact that $7,500 is a small amount in the scheme of things for a typical Tesla vehicle, what about, say the free bandwidth that taxpayers provide for the TV you watch, the local monopoly that the government allows for the cable you subscribe to, funding that led to the internet that led to companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple that you no doubt patronize, ¢40 on...
Please don't post uninformed nonsense. (Ok... redundancy...) Tesla took a loan from the DoE, every cent of which was paid back a while ago. As to 'government subsidies,' quite apart from the fact that $7,500 is a small amount in the scheme of things for a typical Tesla vehicle, what about, say the free bandwidth that taxpayers provide for the TV you watch, the local monopoly that the government allows for the cable you subscribe to, funding that led to the internet that...
Apple should really rethink this. Unless it has some out-of-the-ballpark explanation of a broad vision and strategy that goes with any such announcement. To me, this falls into the same realm as Google-Nest Otherwise, the market is going to react quite badly to this. Not because of the amount involved (which is a rounding error), but because of what it will infer -- rightly or wrongly -- about the company's strategy (or lack of it).
Lame.