or Connect

Posts by igxqrrl

I think Apple has shown that there are margins available in even cutthroat businesses for exceptional products. PCs operate on razor thin margins, but the margins on Macs are quite good. LCD monitors have razor thin margins, but the Apple Cinema Display has great margins. Just about the only company making good money on smartphones is Apple. I think it would be more correct to say that the margins on commoditized TVs is low. By differentiating itself, Apple could probably...
Agreed that it's an extraordinary accomplishment, but your example (Ford) puts things in perspective. For many, many years Ford has had the best selling vehicle in the US (Ford F-150). Yet what percentage of cars on the road are F-150s? Clearly "best selling product" and "overall marketshare" are very different things. While celebrating the iPhone's success, it's important to keep that difference in mind.
As an Apple stockholder, I think this is great news. But another way to read the headline is: Apple customers pay far more beyond above unit cost than customers of competitive phones. Nothing inherently wrong with that, just pointing out that most of us are Apple customers. Why would a consumer celebrate the profit generated at his expense?
I was contacted by a recruiter for one of the companies involved, who quickly followed up with "I'm sorry, I just learned that we're not allowed to active recruit from your company." I'm certainly not a 'high-level' employee.It hurt all employees in the industry by hindering mobility and therefore depressing wages. Granted, as an industry that has largely escaped the recession and is compensated at above average rates to begin with, this is hardly a particularly...
From reading the Jobs biography (and from being an Apple customer/Mac fan for the last 27 years), Jobs was not exactly an "honorable businessman" either. Neither of them seem to have been above lying, cheating, and stealing. There is no doubt that Jobs' eye for aesthetics, good design, and elegance far surpassed Gates complete lack thereof. But trying to extrapolate that further is of questionable utility.
Not so fast. We've got another year of tax-advantaged status for dividends.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dividend_tax#United_States
I'm not sure what you're hoping it links to? Much like P/E, PEG is just another tool for comparing valuation. P/E can be useful for comparing like companies. But the example given earlier was trying to the P/E of Apple vs. Amazon. In those cases, PEG is another widely used tool.
I was around during the 80s and 90s. It's farcical to argue that Windows 3.1, which was the first commercially successful windows version, bore any resemblance to MacOS. I assume most of us have read the Jobs biography. It's quite clear that theft and questionable ethics were practiced by all parties in the 80s, including Mr. Jobs.
If Apple pays me $1, and I pay 15% on it and use the resulting $0.85 to buy Apple stock, I have 85% as much stock as I do if Apple had just bought $1 worth of stock instead of giving me the dividend. *If* Apple continues to grow at this rate, then our money is better off staying within the company. On the other hand, keeping it invested elsewhere (cash, and other investments) seems to an outsider like an odd choice. It is being used neither to grow the business nor...
Let's say we have two companies, identical in every respect, except that company G has $10B in the bank and company A has $100B in the bank. I think we can all agree that the extra $90B in the bank adds value to company A. Put another way, you could buy Apple for $400B +/-, deposit the cash in your bank account, and then re-sell the company. Clearly the resulting sale would be worth about $100B less. It is quite common to subtract the cash and calculate the resulting P/E...