or Connect

Posts by igxqrrl

While I fully agree with your last paragraph, I'll take issue with your first couple. First, just because you would not change your investing strategy in the face of a doubling of capital gains rates does not mean that others wouldn't and shouldn't. Investing strategy should always take tax rates into consideration. Few people in the top 1% have such little saved that it can all be tax deferred. The majority have significant assets in taxable instruments. This is...
You must be kidding. Intel is in no danger of losing the desktop or server market. Nobody doubts that all major OEMs will continue to use Intel chips for the foreseeable future. x86 rules this segment. There are no challengers. And there are only two suppliers of consequence of x86 chips: Intel and AMD. AMD only has the fabs to supply a small percentage of the market, and their products are at present uncompetitive. Bringing new fab capacity online costs many billions of...
For years in the late 90s, selling off its ARMHY holdings was about the only positive thing about Apple's quarterly reports.
From:http://www.9to5mac.com/16669/steve-j...-and-your-govt
This is my wife's 64GB 3G iPad after a 2-foot drop onto a wood floor. Wood floors are not particularly 'hard'. Granted that's only one data point.
Why do you say that Apple has the best lawyers?
While it saddens me that you feel my argument has no merit, I would like to point out that usually upgrades are available to very high performing chips that, at this time, AMD cannot compete with. We can hope that AMD has shown Intel a roadmap that indicates it will be able to compete in the future. But any move by Apple to ignore performance would be at its own peril.
As a computer engineer, you must surely know that compilers can *and do* optimize for a particular target, even within the same ISA. Also note that while both AMD and Intel support x86-64, they each also support their own extensions. Their implementations of virtualization and vector extensions have diverged. You must also know that the highest performing x86 compiler is generally acknowledged to be 'icc', and is provided by Intel. It is reasonable to assume that it is...
Unfortunately none of the statistics you mentioned provide any reason to think that they produce a processor that is appropriate for Macs. At this time, Intel owns performance in nearly all x86 market segments. Apple charges a premium for its products because it claims they are the best. Putting a lower performing chip in its products does not endear me to their pricing philosophy.
I'm sorry, but this is simply inaccurate. Both AMD and Intel are responsible for substantial innovation. However any informed objective observer will acknowledge that Intel is without par in terms of manufacturing and design innovation. While one can point to a short list of AMD innovations (hypertransport and 64-bit chief among them), a similar list for Intel would span pages.Again, completely inaccurate. The fine had nothing to do with IP theft. It was an antitrust action.