or Connect

Posts by Superbass

I remember Apple's current sim ejection system. It was the '80s and I was ejecting 3.5" floppys, except instead of having to jam a pin in there, there was a mechanical button already attached to the device. Because needing to jam a separate pin (even if it's called an "eject tool") into a consumer device just seems stupid.
Why does the article say "without reducing performance???".   It's been well documented that the GPU in the rMBP is quite heavily throttled (made worse by a "software update" that was eventually pulled by apple) specifically because the machine doesn't have adequate cooling to run it wide open. The computer gets too hot because the fans and case are not properly designed to allow the computer to operate without reducing the performance of the components via software...
This hub is an absolute fail.   No Firewire, but lots of USB2 (when all new macs already have a couple USB3 ports). And it's totally overpriced for what you get.   I'm not very optimistic that Thunderbolt will be around in a couple years - there are very few TB devices out there as it is, and the Pro Audio and Video industries have both basically chosen USB3 as the future for pros and semipros.   Unless Apple really kicks it into overdrive with their own...
Wow, whoda thunk it!   I hear the next Macbook Pro will have a faster processer than the old one, too.   And the Macbook Air will weigh slightly less!   And the iTunes store will have even more music in the future!
It's not even a real Journal app - it actually saves all "journal" entries as Plain Text, totally unencrypted so anyone with access to your computer or phone can read everything without any problems. I'm actually looking for a good journal app that is cross-platform and with full integration with WordPress/Facebook/etc, but judging by user reviews, they've been promising encrypted entries for months but nothing has happened.   As it stands, Day One is basically just...
Gee, I wonder if Human Revolution was named GOTY by Apple because Feral and Apple made a deal to give the App Store exclusive digital distribution rights? The OSX version is currently blocked from being sold on Steam even though the PC version is.
Is it just me, or do lots of things in iTunes 11 take way more clicks than in iTunes 10? In iTunes 10, i could drag a playlist from the main library screen directly to my iPhone without leaving the library screen - 1 click. Now i have to click "iPhone", then playlists, then drag it to my iPhone and then click done to get back to library view - 4 clicks. Also, viewing downloads now opens a pop-up window, which seems pretty cluttered to me. All in all, I like the new...
Comparing Apple Maps with year 1 of google maps is pretty pointless; kind of like saying a couple of years ago that "the Zune is as good or better than 1st generation iPod was - and it'll get better!". 99.9% of people would rather use the product that works, especially something as important as maps are. What apple should have done was put their Maps program in all developer/beta copies of iOS updates for a year or two to iron out the wrinkles and get a sense for where...
A lot of people (who don't read appleinsider or are less tech-savvy) might have no idea that the foundation of the default map app on iPhones has changed - in iOS 4 and earlier it was just called "Maps", remember. Sure the new non-google app looks totally different, but so do lots of upgraded apps (iTunes 11 vs 10 for example). With google maps, people became accustomed to 99.5% accuracy pretty much everywhere in the world. If they don't realize the data behind iOS 6 maps...
Does anybody know if the GPU and/or CPU are throttled down on these iMacs?   I've been looking at the retina MBPs, and there are lots of people saying that their GPUs are throttled down to 70-80% of their manufacturer's standard specs - probably due to the aesthetics/design of the casing making heat a serious problem.   With the thin size and heavy reliance on glue in the new iMacs, can we expect that Apple again has neutered the hardware in favour of aesthetics?...