or Connect

Posts by jpellino

The iPhone 4S was definitely snappier. These Brazilian iPhones will be definitely spicier?
I don't care to imagine Keynote hobbled by feature-matching legacy PPT themes. Nor do I care to have Pages join Word in treat master items (background PDF letterheads f'rinstance) as lo-res images. Have they fixed either of these "features" in Office Mac 2011? I gave up hoping so since 2001, 2004, 2008... I've made too many clear, good looking, informative pieces of of work in Pages, only to have someone say "Ooh! Now can you save that as Word?" Yes. Right after I...
We need an iPad3 (processor, rez) to even think about actual end users running Office under iOS. But since we can't let that cat out of the bag, we're reduced to making you think we need a few weeks to get our act together. Since we have a history of barely getting our act together on forward looking products, you're buying it. Plus we planted all those images of goofy staged funerals and similar cosplay "events" so you probably figure we're very busy putting together a...
"The screen is expected to double the resolution of the current 1,024-by-768-pixel iPad to 2,047-by-1,536 pixels." Cue the "It's Not Double!" class action suit over that one column of pixels. Srsly - This is a typo, right? It should be 2,048 - there's no obscure LCD/LED construction technical detail that necessitates stripping out one column, right? I cut my teeth on Apple ][ / II/ GS graphics, so I remember when all bets were off for screen res logic.
Maybe - just MAYBE - this will make up for snubbing us Mac users for so long on the Zune sync client. I'll hafta think about it.
I don't think it's a shift in secrecy so much as a realization that members of the press are a lot better at making noise about a new product than developers are. Props on indispensability to developers of course. But developers are busy developing of this next rollout, while the press is busy getting the word out.
Yeah, I saw that 10,000 R&D personnel number and thought "What a management nightmare." For TVs? Maybe he meant employees involved in "D&D"? When we were an external research site for Apple, I visited what as then the ATG. I was told by our champion I could go in without the usual security rigamarole as long as I promised not to exclaim too loudly when I saw some of what they were doing. It was sage advice. Pretty sure it was a lot less than 10,000 people. QuickTime...
So you get paid Apple-money for a spell and they gauge your performance. Oh, the humanity! Many companies have a probationary period during which your skills on the ground are assessed and then a decision is made for continued employment. Skills in an industry like this would include technical expertise, communication skills, teamwork, people skills and the ability to abide by the NDA portion of your work contract and to not leave prototypes in a bar when you flash them...
Does anyone track if these analysts are accurate after the future actually happens?
There's something else behind that "public" number. Like sales claims that use language like "four times less than the leading competitor!" 121 psi? 121 lbs on that shiny metal display they have in the shot? Well, no - the test video on Gizmodo shows a rig - probably some sort of standard - with a defined probe trying to push through a defined disc of glass with with a (70's throwback wood-grained red-LED-segment display) force sensor. Still pretty tough stuff, their...