or Connect

Posts by jpellino

...Openmoko. Yes, on the one hand information wants to be free. On the other hand, it also wants a working BT driver, a tolerable data rate, MP3 playback and a GPS that takes less than 10 minutes to get a fix.
A better one would be that BMW tells you look, use our shop and we guarantee the thing will run. Use any grease monkey who thinks they can trick out a beemer and you're on your own. And if we find someone used rogue parts to mod your baby and you bring it to us for scheduled service, we'll make it run to spec and toss the icky parts, duct tape, bailing wire and all. You have been warned. Since there's no ASE-style certification for anyone who writes a rogue app, it's...
According to the red-meat open source crowd, nearly none of it is. There's a steady drumbeat that since the lineage from *NIX is so muddied as to be immaterial, and that since Apple has retained some - make that any - proprietary parts to their builds of the OS, then it's beneath contempt.
What level of hardware are you running it on that it's lean, mean and responsive?
Over on the right of the new ultrabar - That golf flag is immediately recognizable as a... tee time alert, and the... um... monitor with the devil's spear on the left margin means... oh yeah, meeting in Ballmer's office in 30.
Steve Ballmer was heard to remark "I'll have the roast crow with the mango salsa."
NVIDIA and firewire? Done. Applecare is up on my iBook G4 next month - so this settles it. No way I'm paying for aluminum and some speed if I have to scrap my video cam and repurchase many external hard FW drives as USB drives. Thanks, Apple! maybe once these sales take off, they'll consider swapping a USB for a FW on the alu MacBooks. It's much cheaper to buy a USB hub to solve that problem.
Yes, from trial to retail box took an install. It's rather quick. For me it was as simple as deleting the iWork folder. It apparently took care of the app support and any other folders needed without hunting them down for deletion ahead of the install.
Really? The sole word out of Apple about this would be a massive deliberate verifiable lie? That opens up a liability world of hurt that no legal department - not to mention a world-class board made of other companies CEOs - would let out the door... that's your rock solid conclusion?
Apple is in the business of making computers and peripherals. As a matter of their business model, they allow people to buy shares in the company in order to raise capitol and spread risk and reward. They are not - as is often glibly quoted - in the business of making money for their shareholders. They should make money for investors, they likely will do so regularly as the value of the company increases, and every so often they might not. Shareholders have to...