or Connect

Posts by jpellino

"There is no reason Apple needs to hoard so much cash." Unless they want to use it for development to scoop the market with another big advance that no one sees coming. Nah, they'd never pull a stunt like that... "Apple has $145 per share of cash on its balance sheet. As a shareholder, this is your money." That assumes the only reason Apple has money is because the shareholders gave them some. It utterly ignores the idea that a company sees gains and is supposed to...
Think of the money they coulda saved on the US93 bridge if they'd just called Apple first. Not to mention one sweeeeet thrill ride.
A couple of my students have the iPad version - it's pretty solid. As opposed to Logitech's USB computer keyboards - which are plastic fluff compared to standard Apple ones. If this lives up to those expectations, then that does it - a Mini and this thing will do it for me.
Had I waited a week I coulda disliked it for only $32. 
You can retain the install of Lion or ML and keep it as an image - or burn a flash drive for it.  That process has saved my bacon.  
Actually, I dislike Apple Maps $49 worth. So I have StreetPilot for iOS. I'd had a NUVI for years, and it was wonderful. It took some trauma to the charging port about the time I got my iPhone 4. Granted Apple Maps isn't full-featured on the 4, but after trying Waze (cute, but somehow thought my office was 4,200 miles from my house) and MotionX Drive (best voice by far, but too-small interface elements for driving) it was a shot at Garmin - as Street Pilot (mostly)...
Awesome.
"Let's say the industry earns $100 M. Apple could earn $110 M - if someone lost $10 M and everyone else broke even." OK, but that's why Tallest Skil said "profits" and not "earnings".
Stagecast. A neat little simulation environment, Java based. Started life as the "original" Cocoa (get it? Cocoa is like Java but for kids? Cute?) at Apple under Larry Tesler. When NEXT/OpenStep came to Apple and Cocoa was part of it, there was a needed name change and Stagecast emerged as a separate company. IIRC the plan was you would be able to flip the sims over and see the Java code behind what you did in the graphical environment (like in LOGO) but that part...
"phablet"?   This has Ballmer's fingerprints all over it.