or Connect

Posts by Xian Zhu Xuande

I'm pretty sure all of these work by changing the user agent to something representative of a desktop browser. Doing some digging, that seems to be the case with this feature in iOS Safari as well. This is going to be hit and miss because some websites work by evaluating the user agent for mobile browsers and displaying a separate or dynamic mobile website in response. A properly designed mobile website today follows principles of responsible design, however, which reflows...
I was, for a while, using ClickToFlash and Chrome for when I wanted a dedicated Flash browser. But the automatic updates for flash weren't working%u2014I had to go to their website, download the app, quit the browser, run through their installer... or maybe it was working and it's just a crappy process? In any case, I've had it and removed the plugin a couple weeks ago. You can always launch Chrome when there's actually something with Flash that warrants going out of your...
This is excessive—ridiculous, even... it absolutely should be allowed within an historic context, such as representing sides in an historic battle simulation. Same would apply to the swastika used in historic context to represent the Nazi party.
Yep... Apple needs to step up their game in Cloud storage and services.
It should be much more complicated than this. Apple devices have been rendering all manner of special glyphs (whether foreign or otherwise) for quite some time now—and messages which contain a combination of basic Latin characters and multi-byte Unicode characters. It is also not very difficult to recognize the boundaries between these characters and break (e.g. add an ellipsis) at those points. Now, if they're trying to do something fancy which scans for appropriate...
What's the harm? It doesn't hurt anything as long as they've read the article. It's nothing like a layman deliberately installing malware where long-lasting harm may be done to the system; where the harm may require a more experienced hand to be resolved.Testing every character that's supported wouldn't be hard. It's in the combinations of characters that the circumstance becomes effectively impossible to test. Rather, the approach would be to write code which should be...
If we believe in a legal system designed to *rehabilitate* criminals, this is definitely the right response from Apple.It *is* punitive while they are serving time, public service, paying fines for their crime. Once they've moved beyond that and society prevents them from pursuing honest work and reforming we're now exploring a punitive that adds incentive for people to turn back to crime. It's one thing in a sensitive scenario such as teaching, but quite another in...
I've no more love for LaCie. I'd pay the premium on their products if it was for better products but I've been amazed how quickly and consistently their hard drives have failed for myself and for friends/clients. A pretty enclosure does not a high quality product make.
Hilarious because Samsung's on the receiving end (to a much lesser extent—the media will show nowhere near the same interest in this story) of what they dished out earlier when bendgate was hyped up for Apple, but it's no more a story than it was for Apple last year. Interesting to see some people a little quick to make the same generalizations they were likely frustrated with previously applied to the iPhone 6. Same would apply to Samsung fans who reveled in the iPhone...
The 25% of that speed (6.25 Mbps / 1 Mbps) most certainly does not do all that many of us 'need'*, especially if service quality fluctuates. And once someone is looking at online streaming, especially in a shared household with multiple computer users, it becomes even worse. It is far to say that it is adequate for a number of people, but the merit to that position tapers off when your audience is other people in a technology-related forum.And it's not so important a...