or Connect

Posts by Xian Zhu Xuande

I’ll summarize my experience.XP vs. VistaXP runs like a dream. It is quite reliable. Vista is a little too slow, but much of this is due to the fact that, well, Vista is a little to slow no matter what you are running it on. If you are concerned about productivity, avoid Vista. I guess it is worth pointing out that these views are all placed relative to XP use on a Windows machine. Don’t expect to be as happy as you are with your Macintosh while using Windows.3D UsesAvoid...
GIMP does not compare to Photoshop. A professional user familiar with both programs would understand that. It is also quite illogical to compare GIMP to the $2,799 price tag, which bundles a hoard of excellent Adobe products used for a wide array of purposes. Best to stick to Photoshop vs. GIMP comparisons. That said, for someone using Photoshop professionally, the price tag attached to Photoshop is nothing horrible. It can easily be made up in a single job, or in two jobs...
Thank you for correcting me and clarifying my explanation. I should have been more specific about shielding and some of the potential problems (particularly in long stretches of network cable, or in audio/video cable). I also learned a few new things!
Haha… maybe I can actually add something to this. I started working for GeekSquad three years ago as a GeekSquad technician, became the key repair technician (I was the guy who started at 7 AM every day to fix things before the store opened), worked my way into management where I stayed for a while before stepping down due to disagreements with the company, and finally became a super part time technician (working only a few days a week) fixing computers. I know ol’...
Update was smooth. First reboot afterward was slow (normal) and OS loaded a little oddly (normal). Rebooted my second time and everything works great. Applications seem to load a bit faster but if I hadn’t read that this is an attribute of this update I might not have noticed it. Photoshop CS2 still takes an eternity, CS3 seemed a bit faster (but hey, it was already fast—Intel processor). Just repaired my permissions. Back to work.
OS updates from Apple always result in a slow reboot (caches cleared, updates being made, whatever—there are numerous reasons; the second restart should be much faster). Furthermore, the double-reboot is also normal in many updates. If you read the documentation that goes along with the updates you will usually see these things mentioned. In fact, many bugs you see after an update vanish after your next reboot (if you even see any). I reboot a second time myself before I...
I want to own my own media. I know a lot of other strange folk such as myself, too. We’re out there! Rental/exploding media options are nice to have relative to movies (they are useless for music) but the sort of features that inspire me to purchase products like this revolve around long-term ownership.
Yeah, you can always count on Photoshop. CS2 was a little buggy when it came out, but even in that state compared positively to most other professional programs out there. And many of the other Photoshop releases have been extremely stable. I guess we should hope for as much—it is their flagship app. Now if only they could devote that same attention to all their other programs (heck, I’m hoping for it with CS3, which I’ll buy they day I can order it) I would be a very...
Don’t you think too much eye-candy would be distracting?
I wish that statement was true. It is in part with Photoshop, I suppose, but even there every major release comes with some major bugs. To truly appreciate Adobe’s launch bugs one must be a user of programs like Illustrator (famous for this) or GoLive (fortunately finally gone—this is a program that has pretty much never been anything but buggy). In Adobe’s defense they do a much better job than most companies, they are working with very complicated and advanced programs,...