or Connect

Posts by Xian Zhu Xuande

I do not find it unusual that Apple pre-announced the iPhone, and while many reasons floating around may have contributed in part, I think one key reason probably weighs in heavily: cellular provider contracts. Because Apple announced their product so far in advance, along with the carrier, people around the United States (and even overseas) have had a chance to avoid signing new contracts, contemplate how to get out of their existing contracts, and generally plan for...
Haha… nice. I’ll have to play around with this. I guess it is no big deal. It isn’t very resource-intensive (though iTunes is on Windows) and iPods were the entire reason why Apple ported iTunes over to Windows. The iTunes service is vital to a great deal of iTunes’ and the iPod Software Restore’s iPod-related functionality so it makes some sense to maintain it. Have you noted problems that would make the service a concern?
The iPod service appears under services in msconfig, and can be disabled. This is standard functionality. Unless there is something strange going on?
Did anyone actually believe that Apple would delay Leopard for Vista? Really?Mini sells pretty well. And besides, it is a gateway drug—I mean computer. The secret features aren’t appearing in the developer previews because if they did, they wouldn’t be very secret. We’d have a more thorough dissection of their capabilities in a day than Apple would ever provide in a public announcement. Developer Previews are designed specifically to aid developers in testing their...
I’ll summarize my experience.XP vs. VistaXP runs like a dream. It is quite reliable. Vista is a little too slow, but much of this is due to the fact that, well, Vista is a little to slow no matter what you are running it on. If you are concerned about productivity, avoid Vista. I guess it is worth pointing out that these views are all placed relative to XP use on a Windows machine. Don’t expect to be as happy as you are with your Macintosh while using Windows.3D UsesAvoid...
GIMP does not compare to Photoshop. A professional user familiar with both programs would understand that. It is also quite illogical to compare GIMP to the $2,799 price tag, which bundles a hoard of excellent Adobe products used for a wide array of purposes. Best to stick to Photoshop vs. GIMP comparisons. That said, for someone using Photoshop professionally, the price tag attached to Photoshop is nothing horrible. It can easily be made up in a single job, or in two jobs...
Thank you for correcting me and clarifying my explanation. I should have been more specific about shielding and some of the potential problems (particularly in long stretches of network cable, or in audio/video cable). I also learned a few new things!
Haha… maybe I can actually add something to this. I started working for GeekSquad three years ago as a GeekSquad technician, became the key repair technician (I was the guy who started at 7 AM every day to fix things before the store opened), worked my way into management where I stayed for a while before stepping down due to disagreements with the company, and finally became a super part time technician (working only a few days a week) fixing computers. I know ol’...
Update was smooth. First reboot afterward was slow (normal) and OS loaded a little oddly (normal). Rebooted my second time and everything works great. Applications seem to load a bit faster but if I hadn’t read that this is an attribute of this update I might not have noticed it. Photoshop CS2 still takes an eternity, CS3 seemed a bit faster (but hey, it was already fast—Intel processor). Just repaired my permissions. Back to work.
OS updates from Apple always result in a slow reboot (caches cleared, updates being made, whatever—there are numerous reasons; the second restart should be much faster). Furthermore, the double-reboot is also normal in many updates. If you read the documentation that goes along with the updates you will usually see these things mentioned. In fact, many bugs you see after an update vanish after your next reboot (if you even see any). I reboot a second time myself before I...