or Connect

Posts by Xian Zhu Xuande

OS updates from Apple always result in a slow reboot (caches cleared, updates being made, whatever—there are numerous reasons; the second restart should be much faster). Furthermore, the double-reboot is also normal in many updates. If you read the documentation that goes along with the updates you will usually see these things mentioned. In fact, many bugs you see after an update vanish after your next reboot (if you even see any). I reboot a second time myself before I...
I want to own my own media. I know a lot of other strange folk such as myself, too. We’re out there! Rental/exploding media options are nice to have relative to movies (they are useless for music) but the sort of features that inspire me to purchase products like this revolve around long-term ownership.
Yeah, you can always count on Photoshop. CS2 was a little buggy when it came out, but even in that state compared positively to most other professional programs out there. And many of the other Photoshop releases have been extremely stable. I guess we should hope for as much—it is their flagship app. Now if only they could devote that same attention to all their other programs (heck, I’m hoping for it with CS3, which I’ll buy they day I can order it) I would be a very...
Don’t you think too much eye-candy would be distracting?
I wish that statement was true. It is in part with Photoshop, I suppose, but even there every major release comes with some major bugs. To truly appreciate Adobe’s launch bugs one must be a user of programs like Illustrator (famous for this) or GoLive (fortunately finally gone—this is a program that has pretty much never been anything but buggy). In Adobe’s defense they do a much better job than most companies, they are working with very complicated and advanced programs,...
Using the program for a living performance is key, at least for me. I haven’t delved too deep into the new program features just yet—pretty much using it for the same ol’ routine. In honesty I’m not even well versed in what new functionality the CS3 suite is supposed to introduce. Has Adobe announced anything in real detail?
Adobe was developing CS3 well before they had the option to do any sort of serious Leopard custom work—not that they really need to. Programs this size can’t possibly be agile enough to react on this level. After various known Leopard issues turn up and are properly understood they’ll get around to releasing an upgrade or two to iron things out a bit. Given how much they are remaking the software maybe we’ll get lucky and see some additional patching and integration,...
Heh… if anything, ’98 was considered a downgrade. Not in terms of claimed functionality—it featured several very interesting new ideas—but in terms of stability and reliability. Along with ME, ’98 First Edition was one of the most embarrassing things ever to come out of Microsoft. How did they solve the problem? With Windows ’98 SE, a paid upgrade.
SP2 offered very little to existing Microsoft customers. it was primarily a security upgrade, but it was not a noteworthy feature upgrade. I would not consider it the sort of major upgrade users should be expected to pay for, but Microsoft has charged for things such as this in the past. More to the point, Macintosh users did not need to upgrade every OS increment. A user of 10.2 could upgrade to 10.4 and skip 10.3 entirely. It is a choice. So you’ve got Microsoft, going...
Thank you. I’ve lurked for quite some time now! Vista’s biggest problems will be resolved with time—mostly usability concerns—and it will become easier to use, I imagine, when they tone down the security features. Its biggest problem, resource usage, probably won’t be resolved any time soon. More than anything else this makes upgrading to Vista pretty impractical—and usually means you would have been better off with a new XP machine at this time. We’ll just have to see...