or Connect

Posts by LordJohnWhorfin

I'm amazed by the tablet lineup. We've gone from fairly nice tablets to a pathetic range of low-end crap. 1024x600 at the low end (a resolution not even adequate for a decent smartphone), and 1280x800 on a 10" screen at the "high end" -- what happened to the HDX line? This looks like Amazon is giving up on the tablet market and refocusing on beefing up its TV offering in preparation for the AppleTV fight... Notice the FireTV stick has gone up steadily from its $20...
Except they're forcing absolutely NOTHING down your throat. They're just finally giving equal rights to people who have been discriminated against. If you're not one of these people, NOTHING changes for you -- other than having to live with the knowledge that people of the same sex are getting legally married. If it's that much of an inconvenience to you, I think you need to have your brain examined. It has been rotted out by religion.
You're not "fortunate" to have the unlimited grandfathered plan. You're being suckered into overpaying for crappy metered service.If you're in the SF area, T-Mobile offers better, faster, and REALLY UNLIMITED service for $80/month, including 7GB of tethering, unlimited international data and text roaming (calls are $0.20/minute). 
So, explain something to me. AT&T gets slapped with a $100 million fine for illegally throttling "unlimited" accounts, and they are STILL throttling? Where do they find people stupid enough to be their customers?
i'd love to see Plex run on it!
I see no discrepancy between the various accounts. While Jobs didn't get fired per se, he was completely sidelined and essentially being told he could collect a paycheck as long as he stayed out of the way. That's probably about as close to firing him as they were legally and contractually allowed to do -- making his life miserable and hurting his ego in order to push him out the door, and it worked.
Once again, T-Mobile rules. Don't make me laugh with your "grandfathered plan" on AT&T... That's the biggest scam ever.
The behaviors of "Podcasts" (downloads capped at 100MB on LTE) and TiVo (no streaming over LTE), are not imposed by the carrier, they're built into the application. Podcast's limitation was very likely demanded by AT&T early on, but it's hardcoded and applies regardless of the carrier. TiVo's may have been arbitrary to guarantee a minimum level of streaming quality, or due to some secret agreement with AT&T, who knows. Amazon only recently released this arbitrary...
I loved to be able to jailbreak my iPhone early on (for perfectly legit purposes, such as being able to download video podcasts > 100MB over LTE, stream TiVo or Amazon Video over LTE, use tethering, and a bunch of other cool UI features), back when the jailbreaks came from well known US hackers. Since iOS 7, I have zero trust in these Chinese jailbreaks, and there is no way I would install them on my phone.And yes, you're right. The "walled garden" seems like a really good...
My first reaction when the FirePhone was announced, and I think I posted it here: Amazon made a huge mistake by pricing this phone in line with other flagship phones. Its main purpose is to get people to spend more money on Amazon, and as such they should give it away for practically free. Of course, making a phone that was essentially only compatible with AT&T (it's missing 3G AWS for full T-Mobile support) was a very restricting choice, further limiting the market for...