or Connect

Posts by cherrypop

Love these results. Another "analyst" comes away from the Apple scoreboard with egg on his face. The latest, Tom Keene. From about a month ago: "What I see is a generational divide, is that true? Older people use iPhones, younger people use Samsungs." Gong! Where's the hook?! Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsungs-galaxy-phone-is-for-young-people-2013-3
This is an Apple disrupter more than a market disrupter. Unless Apple's going to get into the messy business delivery and in-home service of large HDTVs, which have notoriously un-Apple-like margins, I think Apple plans to fill this space with something else.   What about an iTV product lineup? One size? Two? Three? Where does Apple start? 42-inch, then offer a 50-inch and a 60-inch?   In place of the Apple TV with a display, I have been arguing that we'll see an Apple...
There's a hiring trend here that is beginning to bother me. At the risk of creating flame-bait, I rather liked what seemed (from the outside) to be Steve Jobs's ruthless nature when it came to matters like this. Jobs had a technical and philosophical objection to Flash. That alone rules Lynch out. Same goes for Cook's/Apple's recent announcement that they've rehired Trattner, the man (or one of them) behind the insanely horrid Genius ads that ran during the...
This had all the makings of a blue screen of death from the get-go.   The money paid to Kutcher alone would have been enough to produce the definitive documentary on Steve Jobs. That's something I'd pay to see.
I'm not taking a shine to Schiller getting down in the mud.
This is a great story for a few reasons.  Obviously, it challenges the current meme that Apple can't even tie its shoes. I mean, the best-executing company on the planet must be doing _everything_ wrong, right?     I, for one, am glad to see this article. Not because it proves something unrealistic - that Apple Maps is already better than Google Maps - but because it simply demonstrates on public platform that Apple Maps isn't an unmitigated...
Scoreboard, Samsung: it's about the customer experience. Fool an Android customer once. You get the customer-experience you pay for.
Fragmentation is a problem for developers and customers, both.
  Look at the game tape.  Apple's NEVER been that company.  Look at the scoreboard: Last quarter Apple sold more iPhone 5's than Samsung sold Galaxy S IIIs.  Apple also sold more iPhone 4 than Samsung sold Galaxy S IIIs.  They have competition, yes, but this isn't a new phenomenon.   Broadly speaking, Apple's major achievements over the past 30 years include Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, iPad.  Four major product lines in three decades.  The last three of which came in the...
Beginning at 24:30, listen to Cook at the Goldman Sachs conference.  He uses the example of how Apple responded to repeated requests for a low-cost Macintosh when answering questions about a low cost iPhone:   http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13qpijbvpiqefjbgewrifhbvefqpihbdfv2/event/index.html    "Frankly, we worked on this [sub $500 Macintosh].  But we concluded that we couldn't do a great product, and so we didn't.  What did we do?...instead we invented the...