or Connect

Posts by caliminius

Good grief, the colors on those phones are hideous. They're not as bad as Zune Brown, but still hideous.
Do you even know what FUD means? Because it doesn't apply here.And if it's utter nonsense, please enlighten me to the software features that Apple has added to the Maps app since iOS 6 was released almost a year ago. I'll even take it a step further, what features has Apple added to ANY of the built in apps since last iOS release? Email? Music? Camera?
The article states:Oddly, that's the exact same behavior you get from Apple Maps when you put it in 3D/Flyover mode in an area that has no 3D data. Doesn't that make it just as much a "confusing distortion" in Apple Maps?I'm still not sold on the value of 3D when it comes to navigation. I actually prefer the 3d gray form buildings in Google Maps because a) they still provide a sense of building geography without the bandwidth overhead of full 3D models and b) Google had...
Do you really believe the nonsense you post? Apple doesn't avoid paying taxes? BS. Like any good corporation, Apple does everything it can to avoid paying taxes and maximize profits. Yes, they may "legally" be paying all the taxes they owe, but that's becaus there are such massive and ridiculous loopholes in the tax code for corporations to exploit.
You're actually comparing Apple retail stores to prisons, the CIA and government buildings?Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.Seriously, did you did actually type that with a straight face?
I see my comment about calling out the author making stuff up was deleted. The author states that the Android Facebook app was harvesting a user's entire phone book. He then links to an article he himself wrote that says the Facebook app was actually only transmitting the user's phone number. Granted, that's still not great but it's not the sensationalist "harvesting a user's entire phone book" claim stated in the article.   I shall henceforth accept everything...
So if this supposed to be a comparison of iOS 6 Maps vs. Google Maps 2.0, why are there screenshots from pre-2.0 Google Maps and iOS 7 Maps? Not to mention, the screenshot of Google Maps running in Safari? A big part seems to Google Street View vs. Apple Flyover (is that Apple's copyright-able term for 3D view?). I think they're both neat gimmicks, but for the map experience I feel Street View adds more value. First, there's the simple fact that Street View is available...
  Oh, bullshit. That's all Dilger does. Well, except when Microsoft was the "enemy." Then it was Microsoft hate. Please can't we relegate his crap back to his own website and elevate this site back up a few pegs on the journalistic totem pole? Yeah, I know that if every Apple press conference doesn't give me multiple orgasms I shouldn't be on this site, but it didn't used to be like this when I originally started coming here. I rant against Dilger every "article" because...
  Only an idiot EVER paid full price for a book. Barnes & Noble, Borders and all the major brick and mortar stores have coupons all the time. The publishing industry will never make money again? How about they just sell the books to Amazon at a profitable rate, just like the majority of other industries? If Amazon pays $10 for the book, why should Random House care if Amazon sells it for $2? Random House already got their $10.     What Apple essentially tried to do was...
  Amazon was one of the first major sellers of e-books. Exactly what competition did they have to have to drive to drive out of business? They were trying to build a market that didn't exist. It's clear from comments on these forums that people expect digital versions to be cheaper than their analog equivalents, which is exactly what Amazon was trying to provide. Some items sold below cost, some items sold above cost, just like in regular retail markets. That 99 cent...