or Connect

Posts by caliminius

Is it just me or does it seem pretty asinine that you this concept can be patented? Stripping away the technical jargon, it comes down to "multiple sized objects on screen simultaneously." Hardly a revolutionary concept.
And after that, they could give a sneak peak at an upcoming project called SkyNet which was originally set to be released August 4th, 1997 but was delayed to unforseen "setbacks."
I know what was said, but what are the real logistics of music publishing? Take Depeche Mode. The EMI Group website lists them as one of their artists. Looking on iTunes and one of their CD's, they are published in the U.S. by Reprise Records which is a Warner Music Group Company. Does EMI have the ability to release those tracks without DRM or would that fall under the control of Warner Music Group which strongly advocates DRM? It seems to me (I'm no expert on music...
Pioneer sells car CD players that can play AAC files from CD's. They tend to be on the higher end of the price scale though. I'm sure there are other brands but that is the one that I can speak of off the top of my head.
Not to sound cynical, but I wonder which of the bands in that Wikipedia list might be excluded from going DRM-free because of licensing or what have you? And to continue in my slightly cynical line of thought, how long now before see a headline that reads "Universal buys EMI, Shuts Down DRM Free Experiment?" With that said, this might get me to actually start buying music from the iTunes Store (or at least EMI artists) coupled with the Complete My Album feature. Maybe if...
I would say the problem with iTunes DRM is its totally locked-in nature. It only plays on Apple's iTunes, Apple's iPod, Apple's AppleTV...and it will only play on authorized computers or synced iPods. If I take that file to someone else's computer, it's pretty useless. You can't really say that about DVD's. Sony's DVDs play just fine in my Pioneer DVD player. I take that disc and put in someone else's player and it has no issue playing. If I don't like the features...
I think the assumption is that the vast majority of people looking to buy a computer aren't considering a Mac. Thus a certain portion is considering it and making the switch, but the rest don't know or don't care what a Mac is. If someond did a survey at the local Walmart and asked people the question, "What is a Mac?" how many would answer that it was a computer versus how many would say they thought it was a McDonald's sandwich? As much as it would be nice to believe...
The vast majority of people NEVER see a Mac when they go to buy a new computer. The only places consumers would be weighing their options is CompUSA (the ones that aren't closing) and a couple Best Buy stores or online. Most people probably aren't even aware that they run different operating systems (the current Apple ads never show Tiger running). What they knew from going to Circuit City, Best Buy or the Dell website is that a new OS was coming out for the computer. ...
As I continue to read these articles about analyst reports, I keep asking myself, "Do they really get paid to state the obvious?" Why exactly would Vista's impending launch affect Mac sales? Mac's aren't Windows PC's and HP/Dell/Lenovo computers aren't OS X PC's. Microsoft announced a new version of the Xbox but I highly doubt it will affect sales of the Nintendo Wii, Sony's PS3 or toasters. Can I get my analyst pay for that obvious conclusion? If Apple announced...
And AppleTV is pretty useless if you want to watch content that isn't on iTunes. What's your point? Amazon Unbox is now available for Tivo users so there is an option if you didn't record it. It suffers the same flaw that iTunes has that if it's not available there, you can't get it.