or Connect

Posts by caliminius

Price is clearly a major factor in the faster rate of sales. It's a whole lot easier to sell a product line that starts at $79 (iPod Shuffle) than $599 (Mac Mini). How fast do you think iPod sales would drop if Apple discontinued the Shuffle and Nano tomorrow? For about the price of the Mini, you could get a complete Dell (computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and probably a printer). I'm not saying they would be in the same league spec-wise (chances are the Dell would at...
Their prices are too low? For many of the movies being offered at $9.99 by the iTunes Store, you can get the DVD at Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Target, etc. for about the same price if not less. The DRM allows them to play on too many devices? As far I recall, iTunes Store movies only play on 3 devices: the 5/5.5 iPod, computers via iTunes, or AppleTV. DVD Higher quality sound & video, extras, the ability to share the disc. Plays on a wider variety of equipment (not just...
Well, when they start selling $79 computers, I'm sure they'll catch up to the iPod in terms of sales...
I better go check my birth certificate again...I must be older than I think because I don't own an HDTV yet (not that I don't want one but the only realistic reason to buy on is for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD considering the very limited broadcast/cable/satellite HD content). As someone else said, the only people I know with HDTV's are 40+ and only one of them actually watches HD content on it. As for discs going away in the next five years, good luck with that one. Maybe I really...
As long as DirectX continues to be pushed by Microsoft, a unified set of API's will never exist, so I don't understand why I codifed Apple "Core Physics" API would be useless. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I've read several articles about the problems with transitioning games from Windows OS X has been often times because of the middleware involved, primarily physics engines for 3D games. If companies aren't willling/able to license the corresponding Mac...
It seemed perfectly illogical when I wrote it. Although on a serious note, it would be pretty cool for an OS to have a built in physics model API. It might even help get more games written for the Mac when the developers knew they had a free, universally available physics engine. Core Physics. It could be useful in more than just games. All programs involving drawing and animation could benefit from its inclusion at the OS level.
Maybe if they're going to mess with the icons, they should give them 3D properties as well, like distortion points and effects so that for example as a folder's contents grow, the folder icon expands like a balloon. And they give them material properties like defining the icon as metal, wood, or furry. Apple could then update your desktop based on the local weather conditions. If it's snowing in your area, all your icons start gathering a coating of snow as the day...
Is it just me or does it seem pretty asinine that you this concept can be patented? Stripping away the technical jargon, it comes down to "multiple sized objects on screen simultaneously." Hardly a revolutionary concept.
And after that, they could give a sneak peak at an upcoming project called SkyNet which was originally set to be released August 4th, 1997 but was delayed to unforseen "setbacks."
I know what was said, but what are the real logistics of music publishing? Take Depeche Mode. The EMI Group website lists them as one of their artists. Looking on iTunes and one of their CD's, they are published in the U.S. by Reprise Records which is a Warner Music Group Company. Does EMI have the ability to release those tracks without DRM or would that fall under the control of Warner Music Group which strongly advocates DRM? It seems to me (I'm no expert on music...