or Connect

Posts by caliminius

The vast majority of people NEVER see a Mac when they go to buy a new computer. The only places consumers would be weighing their options is CompUSA (the ones that aren't closing) and a couple Best Buy stores or online. Most people probably aren't even aware that they run different operating systems (the current Apple ads never show Tiger running). What they knew from going to Circuit City, Best Buy or the Dell website is that a new OS was coming out for the computer. ...
As I continue to read these articles about analyst reports, I keep asking myself, "Do they really get paid to state the obvious?" Why exactly would Vista's impending launch affect Mac sales? Mac's aren't Windows PC's and HP/Dell/Lenovo computers aren't OS X PC's. Microsoft announced a new version of the Xbox but I highly doubt it will affect sales of the Nintendo Wii, Sony's PS3 or toasters. Can I get my analyst pay for that obvious conclusion? If Apple announced...
And AppleTV is pretty useless if you want to watch content that isn't on iTunes. What's your point? Amazon Unbox is now available for Tivo users so there is an option if you didn't record it. It suffers the same flaw that iTunes has that if it's not available there, you can't get it.
Um, apparently you can read and write in English, but your ability to actually comprehend what is written by others and by yourself is lacking. From your own quote there: "Apple TV will be awesome once iTunes TV shows are more affordable." How is my "tirade about how iTunes is too expensive" not directly related to your point about affordability? You might also want to notice my previous uses of the words "everyone" and "anyone" meaning that I in fact expanded my comments...
Considering your inability to actually respond to my comments, I think you should be asking yourself that question.
Yes and no. I have a 60GB iPod so I can at least for the forseeable future put all of my music on it and carry it wherever I want. If I only had an 2/4/8GB Nano, I'd be back to the same sorts of issues presented by CD's about what to take with me and what not to take. Video is a totally different animal than audio. Unless I'm at home, I have pretty much zero chance to watch videos. Audio I can listen to most places: in the car, at work, jogging, etc. If I decide to...
Have you actually used Tivo? It could be easier to use but that would probably involve having someone else do it for you. It's just as easy as the AppleTV and comes with a remote that could actually replace your TV remote instead of adding to the clutter like the Apple Remote. And it also lets me put music and photos on my TV if I choose. And with about the same amount of work as the AppleTV, I could get other video content on it as well. So, you're saying the target...
If you have a DVD player, you already have movies available with higher quality than iTunes. If you already own a DVR, you probably already have some form of cable/satellite and thus already have subscription TV shows. So what is AppleTV bringing to the picture that anyone who wants it doesn't already have? The only way that AppleTV will replace cable is when it will have some sort of all-you-can-watch subscription model. In effect, it will have to become cable to...
Well, I would say it depends if all those 800,000 actually sell or if they are just shipped to retailers. If Apple really wanted to, they could play with the numbers by shipping 800,000 to the Apple Stores even if only 100,000 are actually sold. The Apple marketers can proclaim they reached the projected 800,000 shipped meanwhile Apple Store employees are busy stuffing the break room fridge with AppleTV's because they ran out of other places to store the things. And it's...
I don't see the difference. The AppleTV software would essentially be fixed. It's really no different whether the additional features come from a hardware device or a software package. To me the difference between a hardware add-on and a software add-on is semantic. The hooks to allow the hardware to function have to be in the device's software to begin with like the Apple Radio Remote. It adds a menu when it's plugged into the iPod. The basic functionality of the...