or Connect

Posts by caliminius

Um, apparently you can read and write in English, but your ability to actually comprehend what is written by others and by yourself is lacking. From your own quote there: "Apple TV will be awesome once iTunes TV shows are more affordable." How is my "tirade about how iTunes is too expensive" not directly related to your point about affordability? You might also want to notice my previous uses of the words "everyone" and "anyone" meaning that I in fact expanded my comments...
Considering your inability to actually respond to my comments, I think you should be asking yourself that question.
Yes and no. I have a 60GB iPod so I can at least for the forseeable future put all of my music on it and carry it wherever I want. If I only had an 2/4/8GB Nano, I'd be back to the same sorts of issues presented by CD's about what to take with me and what not to take. Video is a totally different animal than audio. Unless I'm at home, I have pretty much zero chance to watch videos. Audio I can listen to most places: in the car, at work, jogging, etc. If I decide to...
Have you actually used Tivo? It could be easier to use but that would probably involve having someone else do it for you. It's just as easy as the AppleTV and comes with a remote that could actually replace your TV remote instead of adding to the clutter like the Apple Remote. And it also lets me put music and photos on my TV if I choose. And with about the same amount of work as the AppleTV, I could get other video content on it as well. So, you're saying the target...
If you have a DVD player, you already have movies available with higher quality than iTunes. If you already own a DVR, you probably already have some form of cable/satellite and thus already have subscription TV shows. So what is AppleTV bringing to the picture that anyone who wants it doesn't already have? The only way that AppleTV will replace cable is when it will have some sort of all-you-can-watch subscription model. In effect, it will have to become cable to...
Well, I would say it depends if all those 800,000 actually sell or if they are just shipped to retailers. If Apple really wanted to, they could play with the numbers by shipping 800,000 to the Apple Stores even if only 100,000 are actually sold. The Apple marketers can proclaim they reached the projected 800,000 shipped meanwhile Apple Store employees are busy stuffing the break room fridge with AppleTV's because they ran out of other places to store the things. And it's...
I don't see the difference. The AppleTV software would essentially be fixed. It's really no different whether the additional features come from a hardware device or a software package. To me the difference between a hardware add-on and a software add-on is semantic. The hooks to allow the hardware to function have to be in the device's software to begin with like the Apple Radio Remote. It adds a menu when it's plugged into the iPod. The basic functionality of the...
I strongly disagree with. First if the target audience is people who want to buy video content from the iTS, then it's not a mass market product to start with. Second, I liken the AppleTV to the iPod. The iPod's primary function is to play music and some video content. The AppleTV's primary function is to play video and some music content. But the iPod has an entire industry of peripherals for it: voice recorders, am/fm tuners, alarm clock docks, etc. This would be...
While we're on the topic of AppleTV hacks, I had an alternate theory on why the AppleTV doesn't include a DVD drive. As has been noted, dropping a DVD drive into would have added a pretty neglible additional cost to Apple. They already have a DVD player program so the work to actually add DVD playback would have been minimal. My theory is that it was not implemented to lock out usage of a DVD player and try to steer people to purchase movies from iTunes. It also makes...
I may be wrong about how the AppleTV works, but I believe the Mac Mini or PC or whatever computer doesn't do anything with the video file you want to play on the AppleTV. It's just acting as a file server, sending the original .m4v file to the AppleTV. The Mac Mini doesn't decode the video or do any sort of processing (except perhaps validating that you are authorized to view it before it allows the transfer). This is why the only specs required for the computer is the...