or Connect

Posts by caliminius

I strongly disagree with. First if the target audience is people who want to buy video content from the iTS, then it's not a mass market product to start with. Second, I liken the AppleTV to the iPod. The iPod's primary function is to play music and some video content. The AppleTV's primary function is to play video and some music content. But the iPod has an entire industry of peripherals for it: voice recorders, am/fm tuners, alarm clock docks, etc. This would be...
While we're on the topic of AppleTV hacks, I had an alternate theory on why the AppleTV doesn't include a DVD drive. As has been noted, dropping a DVD drive into would have added a pretty neglible additional cost to Apple. They already have a DVD player program so the work to actually add DVD playback would have been minimal. My theory is that it was not implemented to lock out usage of a DVD player and try to steer people to purchase movies from iTunes. It also makes...
I may be wrong about how the AppleTV works, but I believe the Mac Mini or PC or whatever computer doesn't do anything with the video file you want to play on the AppleTV. It's just acting as a file server, sending the original .m4v file to the AppleTV. The Mac Mini doesn't decode the video or do any sort of processing (except perhaps validating that you are authorized to view it before it allows the transfer). This is why the only specs required for the computer is the...
My whole thinking on the second internal drive for Time Machine is just simplicity, the whole Apple "It just works" philosophy. What's more Apple-like? 1) You buy an iMac with 2 internal drives and Time Machine backs up to the 2nd drive automatically. 2) You buy an iMac with 1 internal drive and then need to buy an external hard drive to use Time Machine. Option 2) reminds me of the one Apple vs. Mac computer where the PC can't do any work because all of its other...
You're forgetting the $300 investment int the AppleTV which makes your first year savings only $100. And assuming this thing takes off, by this time next year AppleTV 2 might be out so you might shell out another $300 for that version so you're still at only $130 in savings (I factored out SG-1 since this is the last season). This all presumes, of course, that you already have a widescreen TV otherwise you'll be back in the red.
Do you really want to use the crappy built-in speakers for a home theater? I've had my iMac since December and have hardly noticed the chin. I'm too busy staring at the actual screen. What I would like is the capacity to outfit it with 2 hard drives for use with Time Machine. I don't want to have to fuss with an external hard drive for this functionality. If we're going with a wish list, I'd like a Blu-Ray Drive installed and an Apple Remote with fuller function set.
As far the Series 3 and Unbox, people should learn how to read. The Unbox pages clearly show that the content is 4:3 letterboxed widescreen. It's like all the iPod Nano owners complaining they can't play the iPod game they just bought. If people can't read, it's their own fault. If that's the only issue, I don't see where "there are a lot of issues here." Tivo and Unbox offers one very nice feature that Apple does not: the ability to re-download content. No need to...
Um, if you hate the Tivo music interface, you're not going to like AppleTV's any better. I just did a comparison between the Tivo and Front Row interface (which clearly seems to be the basic interface used for AppleTV). They are essentially identical except that Tivo doesn't display album artwork. Basically, you're navigating an iPod interface. Otherwise navigation is the same except that Tivo allows the use of page up and page down to faster move through the...
Tivo already does music (mp3's and supposedly unprotected AAC's with an install of LAME) and photos from your computer. It also now has TV and movie purchasing and movie rentals via Amazon's Unbox, although you have to do the purchasing from a computer (just like AppleTV). It also plays a couple basic games and allows some access to basic internet content like weather and traffic reports via Yahoo. Listening to music is painless on the Tivo (except that I encoded most...
I don't see how any of these signify Apple is less hard-headed. Once Apple made the switch to Intel chips, Windows running on Apple hardware was inevitable. Apple didn't create Bootcamp to assist in the process; it was created to kill off whatever 3rd party hacks got Windows onto Mac hardware (as you might notice, it was released immediately after the first confirmed Windows-on-Mac hack). As for iTunes on PC's: Would the iPod be the dominant portable media player today...