or Connect

Posts by caliminius

My whole thinking on the second internal drive for Time Machine is just simplicity, the whole Apple "It just works" philosophy. What's more Apple-like? 1) You buy an iMac with 2 internal drives and Time Machine backs up to the 2nd drive automatically. 2) You buy an iMac with 1 internal drive and then need to buy an external hard drive to use Time Machine. Option 2) reminds me of the one Apple vs. Mac computer where the PC can't do any work because all of its other...
You're forgetting the $300 investment int the AppleTV which makes your first year savings only $100. And assuming this thing takes off, by this time next year AppleTV 2 might be out so you might shell out another $300 for that version so you're still at only $130 in savings (I factored out SG-1 since this is the last season). This all presumes, of course, that you already have a widescreen TV otherwise you'll be back in the red.
Do you really want to use the crappy built-in speakers for a home theater? I've had my iMac since December and have hardly noticed the chin. I'm too busy staring at the actual screen. What I would like is the capacity to outfit it with 2 hard drives for use with Time Machine. I don't want to have to fuss with an external hard drive for this functionality. If we're going with a wish list, I'd like a Blu-Ray Drive installed and an Apple Remote with fuller function set.
As far the Series 3 and Unbox, people should learn how to read. The Unbox pages clearly show that the content is 4:3 letterboxed widescreen. It's like all the iPod Nano owners complaining they can't play the iPod game they just bought. If people can't read, it's their own fault. If that's the only issue, I don't see where "there are a lot of issues here." Tivo and Unbox offers one very nice feature that Apple does not: the ability to re-download content. No need to...
Um, if you hate the Tivo music interface, you're not going to like AppleTV's any better. I just did a comparison between the Tivo and Front Row interface (which clearly seems to be the basic interface used for AppleTV). They are essentially identical except that Tivo doesn't display album artwork. Basically, you're navigating an iPod interface. Otherwise navigation is the same except that Tivo allows the use of page up and page down to faster move through the...
Tivo already does music (mp3's and supposedly unprotected AAC's with an install of LAME) and photos from your computer. It also now has TV and movie purchasing and movie rentals via Amazon's Unbox, although you have to do the purchasing from a computer (just like AppleTV). It also plays a couple basic games and allows some access to basic internet content like weather and traffic reports via Yahoo. Listening to music is painless on the Tivo (except that I encoded most...
I don't see how any of these signify Apple is less hard-headed. Once Apple made the switch to Intel chips, Windows running on Apple hardware was inevitable. Apple didn't create Bootcamp to assist in the process; it was created to kill off whatever 3rd party hacks got Windows onto Mac hardware (as you might notice, it was released immediately after the first confirmed Windows-on-Mac hack). As for iTunes on PC's: Would the iPod be the dominant portable media player today...
That was my thought exactly when I read that line. The only reason that Apple has climbed the list of music distributors is because they are the practically the only source for digital downloads for the iPod whereas there is a huge number of distributors of CD's. And the AppleTV is a no-go for me until it go do something other than act as an expensive iPod video cable. A DVR add-on would be nice and might make me consider ditching Tivo. At $1.99 an episode, if I watch...
Just so we're clear, you do realize the issues I listed were for Front Row and not iTunes 7? My TV shows have always been randomly sorted in Front Row. I've done everything I can think. I've deleted out the episode ID and it didn't help. I even went so far as to remove the episodes from the iTunes library and start adding them back in one series at time in alphabetical order. There's clearly some sort of logic it's using because they always go back into the list in the...
I wish Apple would take a minute and fix all the glaring flaws in Front Row. Here's the list I've compiled: 1) TV shows are randomly ordered in the Video section, not alphabetical (or they're not using the standard Roman alphabet). 2) Videos tagged with an Artist field are listed in Music -> Artist. 3) Videos tagged with an Album field are listed in Music -> Albums. 4) Front Row ignores (or doesn't recognize) the sort preferences introduced in iTunes 7.1 (to...