or Connect

Posts by Lemon Bon Bon.

Some good posts, Dick. I noted the earlier post when someone noted Arm starting life out on the Acorn computers. Yes. Desktop computers. It pretty much kicked the snot out of Amiga and PC computers back then. It was very, very fast. The stuff in the iPad 2. A 'second gen' chip...is what? 'Four' times faster? Twice as fast? Take your pick. It's significant. Try to imagine that evolution to 2013. The gpu power is 9 times faster now? Imagine PVR in 2013? It's...
...AND it has Thunderbolt. I wonder what the possibilities are for the iMac now... Lemon Bon Bon.
The new iMacs aren't bad at all. But some of the things on them are a couple of years over due. eg a decent GPU at all price points. Quad core at all price points. This could have been done last year at least. (If not the year before. Quad core had been out ages at all prices points for years on the PC side...) But they clung to death to that Core 2 duo. The 6970...with a 2 gig GPU option? *Are my eyes deceiving me? Mind you, it's not like on the PC side that 2 gig...
Sounds like Marv' is on the money. The Mac Pro should be one hell of an update. (Wonder if they'll get better gpus than the iMac?) A redesign and a price drop wouldn't go amiss. I remember the days when these boards used to be all about the next 'Power Mac' update. Mind you, back then...who would have dreamed of dual 8 cores with 32 threads...and a gpu running a display at 2500 x 1400? Mini. They'll finally have an i5 in them? And what about a 6970? And a price cut...
Interesting idea, Marv'... Maybe after 8 years...Apple is set to reinvent the tower...(maybe they'll reinvent their prices while their at it...) Lemon Bon Bon.
Apparently, Nvidia are 'evaluating' the external GPU market for laptops. I guess that would include the likes of the iMac and Mac Mini as well. No firm plans as yet. Imagine being able to buy the latest hot (heh) Nvidia gpu and plug it into a thunderbolt iMac or laptop? Lemon Bon Bon.
There is if you waited ten years for it. As for shipping what Intel or other companies have to offer. A comment dripping with irony. Apple could have had quad cores across the board in the imac range. They're cheap enough. They could ship better gpus but they don't. They could make a more affordable tower but they don't. There are cheaper and more affordable cpus and gpus than the ones they choose. They could offer more choice. But they don't. Apple. Does a lot of...
The iMac is imminent by the sounds of it. Always nice to see them get an update. A couple of weeks tops? I just see an evolutionary spec bump. Thunderbolt will be nice. But until there's 6-8 cores, 8 gigs of ram standard and a decent GPU that can throw around the 27 inch resolution? Doubt we'll see 6-8 cores on an iMac until next year. And I expect this year's gpu to underwhelm as it has done for the last several revisions. *Shrugs. It will be 'nice.' ...
The ATV, iPod, iPad, iPhone love 'triangle' is going to make interesting viewing over the next couple of years. I just see a juggernaut that is going to stream roller traditional notions of electronics, gadjets and media integration. Exciting times. Lemon Bon Bon.
...and the ATV is dirt cheap for an Apple product. That an an iPod and you can a nice casual gaming set up to rival the Wii or a 'still played' PS2. With the value added Apple eco system, compelling choice! Then there's the iPad 2 where games aren't even built from the ground up for it yet. But the initial results of quick optimisations show much promise. Lemon Bon Bon.