or Connect

Posts by eatapc

Agreed. The non professionals posting comments here are clueless. My shop was due to upgrade edit suites next month; I sent a letter to management asking them to pull the plug and do a rethink. The harm may be beyond repair already even if Apple does major damage control this week -- that's assuming Apple even wants to continue in the pro market, which is not clear at this point. If and when FCP X (iMovie Xtreme) ever becomes a professional application (and it won't be...
Inuit says that only 6% pay bills through Quicken, but that sounds fishy. It can't be. I've been paying bills electronically with financial software, first Managing Your Money and then Quicken, for almost 20 years. To me that's a core feature, not a bell or whistle that people don't really use. As you said, without bill pay, investment management and tax integration, the application is worth very little.
Sorry for getting off topic, but ... the Canons have been the very highly rated and are far from "junky." The HV30 is the current "top of the heap" for consumer HDV cameras. In fact, many pro videographers use them because of the exceptional picture quality and HDV port -- great for high def green screen. I'd even go so far as to say they have a cult following. http://www.hv20.com/index.php There's no need to "argue that USB is for still images or whatever." The USB is...
The transfer is just a matter of copying files; capturing from tape is different. That's what we're all complaining about.And that's the underlying concept here: Apple sees videotape going away. (And it is.) If you're camera isn't tape-based, then FW is unnecessary.What's annoying for my family is that the purchase of a new MacBook requires the purchase of a new file-based video camera. (I just bought a Canon HV30 because I prefer everything being archived on mini-DV...
Agree. Many newer camcorders have USB2 connectors, but I wonder how many will allow device control and full bandwidth into iMovie. My Canon HV30 doesn't. Some of the new cameras provide proprietary drivers and software for Windows PCs to enable video transfer via USB, but how will they work with a MacBook? Apologies to Mr. Jobs, but video via USB is a "world of hurt." Firewire may be going away eventually, but it's much too early to remove it from MacBooks. What about...
Correct. Japanese consumers are light years ahead of us in how they use their cells phones. Every day they use their phones in ways that might seem like science fiction to Americans. Advice to Steve Jobs: Take a trip to Japan and figure out that market. It'll benefit us all.
In my area (NY/NJ) the Best Buy stores are crowded, messy, dirty and jumbled. The staff seems almost non-existent -- which is a blessing, given the level of knowledge and experience. The Circuit City stores seem almost quiet and civilized by comparison. However, (from personal experience) when you get up to the checkout/customer service desk, Best Buy is like a well-oiled machine, while at Circuit City four people always seem to be standing around ignoring everyone waiting...
I've bought several cables and a simple HDMI switch box (which was under $30) from Monoprice and am very happy with everything. Users and reviewers report that the Monoprice stuff is very high quality -- often better than the expensive cables. I too don't understand how manufacturers and retailers continue to get away with outrageously priced wire.
Are we talking a percentage of visible gamut, RGB gamut or NTSC gamut? If it is 45% of NTSC gamut, does anyone have a link for that fact?