or Connect

Posts by Kate

The reason is an old one: Apple decided to introduce X and made a choice in favour of a newly designed GUI and graphics subsystem and had no true hardware support for this until today. Everything going onscreen taxes the CPU therefore heavily. GPU support is coming in several flavours, Quartz Extreme, etc. are all trying to circumvent this in one way or other. But this is no way likewise efficient like old school GPU usage. But there is no way back now. Apple indeed is...
I do. Could you tell about what is happening when you click on the Network icon in the Finder window. Does a list of available servers, networked machines etc. show up?
[quote]Originally posted by hmurchison: This is not Apples fault. All computer companies move on.
This IS Apples fault. With their stupid fashion of inventing proprietary connectors one day and abandon that fashion two months later. Speaking display -wise. [Hmmm] These are no new developments that would justify such a move, but the result of poor marketing and even lesser and worse...
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis: I think the mac home page will be gone for sure.
The future is dark for the AI site, no sponsor on the horizon? Should I do a backup of the pictures in case Apple rethinks its different thinking? I do plan to abandon Apples iTools and not use .MAC, I could as well use .NET then, bah. A backup app that requires a permanent net - connection to .MAC just to backup on CD? PLease! That is suspicious! If...
[quote]Originally posted by Amorph: Actually, I used it in OS 9 without ever having purchased FinderPop, and I use it in OS X. It doesn't work in all applications yet, but in those applications where I actually use them (and also in the Dock) the click-and-hold approach works fine.
I do not consider the pop-up menu of Dock items to be the contextual menu...however, click-and-hold in Finder, Mail, Photoshop, BBEdit, Navigator does...
You are puzzeling me. Since when is a feature in X that allows for ctrl -free contextual menus? This feature came in 9 by means of FinderPop, a third party extension, x provides no similar functionality. However, a FinderPop - like behaviour with regard to control-free context menus in x would be a nice feature IMHO. A user configurable part of the context menu would be great as well. I heared, that the author of FinderPop now works for Apple, but he seems not to be...
[quote]Originally posted by pscates: If anyone stumbles across a standalone 10.1.5 download, please let me know: pscates126@cox.net Thanks!
I could send you the package, but it is too big for my or your iDisk and e-mail won't do it either. If I gave you the address of my server together with instructions, would you be able to get it from there? If so, mail me at katemiller@mac.com
[quote]Originally posted by King Chung Huang: Well, what is it that everyone wants to know? I get the feeling most people here wouldn't understand if someone were to explain Quartz in full detail, yet there's this insatiable demand for someone to "spill the beans" on how things work on the inside. Just what is everyone looking for?
Shouldn't that be obvious? Explain the full detail, that's what causes the most questions. How is life...
[quote]Originally posted by havanas: I have a bit of experience there. Aqain what are you talking about? We have that already, its called the cpu... I know... I know....
Huh? You answered your own question there, it's the cpu not the gpu, use of the gpu is called hardware acceleration of graphics functions. If you have a bit of experience you may know that Quartz 2D uses the BitBlockTransfer functions of GPU hardware and that's it...
[quote]Originally posted by havanas: 2D acceleration being?
Quartz=Quartz Compositor+ Quartz 2D QE=Hardware thrown at Quartz Compositor.So no acceleration for Quartz 2D. And Quartz 2D is virtually everything besides compositing, OGL and 3D. P.S. Rumors are telling that there ARE efforts being made with regard to 2D acceleration in Quartz under 10.2 . If this turns out to have same real impact I'd gladly revise my judgement the day I get 10.2 . P.P.S....