or Connect

Posts by mrjoec123

So you're saying that Apple generally has trouble generating media attention or getting people jazzed up about its new products? I've heard this suggestion several times now, and it makes absolutely no sense. This might be something that PALM would do, or some other company that never gets anyone's attention anymore. But Apple doesn't even have to make announcements to get press every day, let alone design elaborate plots. Heck, every time a competitor releases a new...
Ron Johnson told me they had plans for this store on Walnut street several years ago. It was before the Palo Alto store opened, even. They really do wait for exactly the right location, exactly the right lease deals, etc. No wonder they have yet to open an unsuccessful store.
I've been thinking the same thing. I wonder if the low price of this upgrade is going to increase the percentage of users who buy Family Packs this time around. It would do a lot to prove the theory that for software, selling at a low price will do more to reduce piracy, and thus make up for the lower margin on each unit sold, than jacking the price up and adding draconian anti-piracy measures. In other words, reward your paying customers, instead of placing the burden of...
I keep reading about the Google Voice dilema. What I can't figure out is whether or not having a third party GV app would be worth anything to me, ultimately. I got myself a Google Voice account. I have an iPhone. And I'm trying to think about how a GV app would work, from a practical standpoint. I mean, if I can't simply tap on a phone number in an SMS, email, etc. and dial via Google Voice instead of my cell phone account, what good is the service to me? If I search...
Who made more money is of no relevance here. Apple is growing. MS is shrinking. It's all about momentum. Once a company this big starts sliding in the wrong direction, it's very hard to turn it around. Ballmer is not the man to turn MS back around. Or to put it another way, MS peaked a long time ago and is now in decline, while Apple has yet to reach its full potential. I don't see Windows 7, or any other product on MS's current roadmap helping matters much. Maybe they...
True. They haven't lost any sales yet. But this isn't going to be the last story about Apple and abuses in China. I'm suggesting that Apple jump out in front of the issue, and at least give people a sense that they're taking action, even if that action is ultimately futile. Someone is trying to pressure Apple into doing something. The same way Greenpeace kept hounding Apple, even though its practices on environmental issues were no worse than other manufacturers. It was...
I don't believe I was suggesting that. My point is that this is an opportunity for Apple to do something that's both decent and beneficial to its reputation. People aren't going to stop buying iPhones, either way. But acknowledging the problem and doing something about it does contribute to that incredible brand loyalty that Apple has always managed to generate. The short term hit to the bottom line would be made up for in spades over the long run.
I agree with you, but it's not that simple. If we were to change our tax laws, and companies stopped building things in China, China would simply call in that gigantic debt we owe them. It's too late now to stop doing business with China altogether.
The real question is not whether or not Apple is to blame for this guy's death. It obviously isn't. The question is, how will Apple react to Foxconn's obviously over-the-top methods of keeping company secrets? The decent thing, which happens to be the best marketing solution as well, is to immediately halt all business with Foxconn and pick another manufacturer for iPhones. That may cause shortages for a while, but it would be worth it. Who is going to argue that they...
Apple legal did no such thing. Certainly not with a phone call. The guy is lying. Plain and simple. If Apple wanted MS to stop showing the ads, it would have sent a cease and desist letter, like it does with every company it wishes to stop doing anything. Until this guy produces that letter, his story is simply not credible.