or Connect

Posts by smax

I've had horrible luck with both D-Links that I've tried to use. Exactly what you describe-- The network goes down, the only way to get it back up is to unplug the router and plug it back in. Daily. Right now, I'm using an old WRT54GL that's run perfectly for years and years with absolutely no problems. Recently I have wanted an N router for the speed boost, but my setup now works fine and I'd rather not spend the money on the Asus right now.
What kind of router do you have right now? If I was to buy a router today, I would get an Asus RT-N16 and load it with Tomato firmware. They do tend to be a litte expensive, through it's one of the more feature-filled routers that I've seen out there that gets very good reviews.
I think he was talking about streaming.
Personally I like WD. I've got several WDs scattered around here, they run great.
You can change screen resolution in System Preferences under Displays. You can right-click on a Mac in a few different ways. You can either hold control and click normally or there are a few available options in System Preferences under Trackpad. Look for the options named Secondary Click or Secondary Tap. Personally, I have mine set to right click when you tap (or click) with two fingers on the trackpad.
20 minutes or $300+. You make the call.
Yeah, don't partition at all within the Windows installation, only use Boot Camp for that. If you really want that third partition, there are ways to do it but they can be complicated and may kill your OS installs (like you just did). Years ago, I set up Boot Camp with 3 partitions so I could share files between XP and OSX and it was a pain in the ass. Nowadays, OSX can read NTFS partitions and Windows can read HFS+ partitions so it isn't as much of a deal to have 3...
Well you probably reformatted the partition to NTFS or something when you installed Windows. Reformat the first partition as HFS+ and reinstall OSX.
Ah, I haven't got to the point where TM has had to free up space so I didn't know it handled it.
Time Machine does incremental backups-- that is, it makes several backups over time as your files change so that you can go back and recover older files. This means that depending on how how much your hard disk changes and how long you've been using time machine, it can require a much much larger volume than the volume that you're backing up. The Wikipedia article has a pretty good description of how it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Ma...%28software%29 If you...