or Connect

Posts by adamw

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Little Snitch would be a cheap investment for Apple to make to ensure users were more comfortable about what programs were attempting to send data out over the Internet. Little Snitch saved me after I installed it, after I was infected with this Flashback trojan, as it found several variants of Flashback still lurking around on my Mac.
I commend Apple for releasing this standalone Flashback trojan removal tool, for people who do not have Java installed (on Lion). This should help take some of the confusion and frustration away. Thank you Apple.
I thought that I was being cautious too, but I still got infected with this trojan.This Flashback trojan has several variants, some of which were recently released. The "Terminal removal detection and removal instructions" and the list of programs that the trojan would refuse to install upon detecting is outdated in my opinion, as confirmed by so many people that thought "they were clean" of this trojan, yet Apple's latest Java update notified them that it had detected and...
I was infected via the Java vulnerability. I used the manual Flashback trojan removal instructions, was reported as infected, and uninstalled the files F-secure recommended. Re-ran the instructions twice and came up clean. Later, someone recommended I try Little Snitch and I installed, and immediately found 2 infected program files trying to send data out to suspicious web sites. Googled the file names and found other Mac users had these same files with the trojan also, so...
I was initially infected by this Flashback trojan on my Mac, and even the manual removal instructions did not get all of the trojan's files, which still tried to send info out over the Internet, but thanks to the Little Snitch app for finding these rogue infected files. I have installed this Java update with no problems. I hope I never see this trojan again on my Mac!
Thanks for the extra information about removing the trojan... Here is a new report which finds that a secondary source, Kaspersky Labs, has also verified the 600,000+ figure of Macs infected with this trojan. They did testing to confirm Dr. Web's initial reporting of the trojan's number of infected Macs. Very interesting. They say 1% of Macs are infected with this trojan. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/secon...lashback/4737?
Since I found I was infected with this yesterday and removed it, I was told to download the "Little Snitch" app, which I googled and installed the 3 hour demo of. I thought my system was clean of this trojan, as I followed the F-Secure removal instructions, but it appears this trojan installs other stuff once it gets in (via the Java exploit). Little Snitch informed me that a file named .rserv (~/.rserv) in my Users directory on my Mac was trying to connect to...
As a person whose Mac was infected under Lion by this trojan, and removed it yesterday, I sure would like to know more about why Apple included another Java update 2 days after the first one. Edit: Since posting, I have found what was changed by Apple in this new Java update. This is from Apple's Java mailing list: Java developers, Today we re-shipped our Java 1.6.0_31 for OS X Lion today to address a critical issue we found in Xcode and the Application Loader tool....
According to Doctor Web, the security company who analyzed this trojan, they were able to intercept the botnet traffic to count both the number of infected Macs and their geographical location. Per their post at: http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=2341 "Each bot includes a unique ID of the infected machine into the query string it sends to a control server. Doctor Web's analysts employed the sinkhole technology to redirect the botnet traffic to their own servers and thus...
I WAS infected with this Trojan, until I saw this article and followed the uninstall instructions. The trojan installed without my permission ~ March 3rd according to the file date of the trojan that was installed. I had the variant that installed in my global preferences and intercepted my Safari screen characters and keystrokes. It got access to my Mac using Java, without me typing the Admin password or notifying me to install it. This stealth trojan had been running...