or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Tim Cook can't really pressure the Chinese government. To demonstrate that, check out two cities in the iOS 8.1 Clock app: Taipei, the capital of democratic Taiwan, and Lhasa, capital of Chinese-occupied Tibet. Taipei has no country. Lhasa is listed as Chinese. Corporate Apple cares not that repressive China has occupied Tibet and would like to occupy Taiwan, as well as crush what democracy remains in Hong Kong. Apple has no moral high ground on which to stand when it...
Let's hope Apple doesn't do something stupid and try to pre-obsolete iPads and Macs. Doing that kicks into play the opposite dynamic to that they intend. When that game is being played, people delay upgrades as long as possible in order to get a model that'll not be pre-obsoleted as quickly.
Quote: "I wish there was a universal Sepia mode for the backgrounds of all applications, especially Safari, as can be found in iBooks." It's not Sepia, but it you dislike bright colors, System Preferences-Accessibility-Display as a "Use Greyscale" option that should be universal.
$300 to upgrade to 16 Gig of memory? I upgraded mine (prior version) from third-parties for under $100. Apple is getting sleazy here, putting in too little RAM (4 gig), making it not upgradable, and charging over twice the market price for that necessary upgrade. Do they really think we're this stupid? They shouldn't forget that, even those who're trapped in Apple's ecosystem can still get even for this by discouraging others. That's precisely what I do with AT&T. I...
Quote: "Adobe has been looking for ways to gain marketshare at the expense of the image editing app's demise." That's an odd statement. With Aperture's "demise," it'll be off the market and thus have no "marketshare" to "expense" against. Adobe is simply working to attract users who'll have to go to some other app in the next few years. It's doing that in a most helpful way%u2014making importing easy. I'd love to see that happen with every dying app.
Apple doesn't just play hardball rather than softball. It plays hardball using bats and cleats as weapons. In this case the weapon is selling in Apple stores. Personally, I'm not impressed by either company's behavior. Both are creating a hassle for their customers: Fitbit for not linking to HealthKit like many of its customers expected, and Apple for not selling what is still useful equipment and offering to help Fitbit make the transition. Call it the Amazon...
There's the equivalent of sheep stealing going on. Country X in the EU gives corporations, wherever they are, a tax break for pretending all the European business its doing takes place there. Country X reaps a tax bonanza that's so great it can collect more at a 2% rather than other countries do at 15%.  We need a diversity of taxes because making any one kind of tax high distorts the economy. Until recently, I lived in Washington state, whose high sales tax meant people...
Why the six-year delay? My income taxes can be raised retroactively back to the first of the year. And why give this benefit to those those well-established cheats but not offer in to those who'd like to jump on this gravy train. Irish politics must be corrupt and in much the same way as Seattle, where I lived until last year. The city is run of, by, and for a few powerful special interests, including downtown real estate. I suspect that's why Amazon is located...
Let's hope the rumors that the thinner design means fewer ports don't prove true. One of the advantages of Apple products has always been that they ship with more built-in than their cheaper competitors. For laptops that's particularly important, since it means we have less clutter to carry about. Lugging about a multi-port USB adapter would be a pain. Also, I'm quite happy using my iPad in lieu of a laptop. If this new MBA doesn't ship with: 1. A Dart-like power supply...
Those criticizing GT should wait until more details come out. It's possible that Apple imposed 'heads we win, tales you lose" requirements on a company that desperately needed its business. A failure on Apple's part meant no penalty. A failure on GT's was to be punished brutally. The only out for GT might have been this bankruptcy. Also, keep in mind that sapphire production on this huge a scale is new. All sorts of gotchas can come up. Apple is as likely to be as much...