or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Has Apple fixed the memory leak that some connect to the Mail app and others to the kernel? My Mac has crashed twice due to it. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6623697
Students teach themselves iPads well enough that within days they've bypasses the school's security checks. Their teachers are apparently able to nothing without expensive, lengthy, formal training. Is there a more apt illustration of why our schools are failing?
This story is of little relevance. What matters is whether Apple is reversing its moves to make a Mac mini useless as anything other than a fancier Apple TV. For those who can't afford the high cost of a Mac Pro, the Mac mini has been the only Mac with easily upgraded RAM and hard drive. Removing that removes from the Apple lineup what's standard in the PC market. And yes, I'm quite aware that marketing types think they're being oh-so clever to cripple hardware, selling...
States vary a lot inside their borders. Correlating this data at the state level virtually worthless other than as bait for Apple websites to pick up.
Let's hope this one fixes that dreadful memory leak that some connect with Mail. Twice, I have my 16-Gig Mac memory tell me it was out of memory. It's a real time-waster to restart everything. I thought those sorts of problems ended long ago.
He's right. The threat is quite real to watches bought as luxury items and status symbols. There, time-telling ability is irrelevant. They're for show%u2014for snobs to wave in front of other snobs. The only watches that are likely to remain untouched those so expensive their wearers would be ashamed to spend a mere few hundred dollars on an iWatch. The iWatch also posses little threat to the watches that many of us wear every day. We simply want a dependable way to tell...
Navigating inside buildings isn't an issue with most of us. We either know the way or follow the signs. What is an issue is getting map data where cellular data coverage is spotty. Apple needs to give their Maps app a world-class UI for downloading data in advanced, including specialized map data for hiking, skiing and off-roading. Not everyone is using their iPhone to find the nearest shoe store.
Steve Jobs' you-misplace-it hostility aside, a stylus makes a lot of sense, but if and only if Apple's iOS and apps can make a distinction between what's done with a stylus (i.e. drawing on screen) versus what is done with a finger (i.e. choosing drawing tools). It'd work around what's perhaps the #1 problem with touchscreen tablet UIs, the limited number of ways to input. A mouse, for instance, can hover over and click/double-click with any of several buttons. All a...
Why do Apple's executives let this happen? I can understand why their lawyers might want to fight. It means more work and pay for them. But this bad press isn't good for Apple. They'd be better off extending the warranty on those laptops or (even better) giving their owners a heavily discounted upgrade to a newer model. Instead of large legal costs and disgruntled customers, they'd have happy customers and good press. Heck, even a corporate bully like Amazon knows that. I...
I'm delighted by the possibility of that change. Apple's getting big enough, it could drive that development, particularly since much of it would be covered by iPhone, iPad, and Mac sales. The chip transition could be handled by their compilers. For a time, they could create code for both much as with the Intel transition. Besides, this will build a fire under Intel to speed up development of low-wattage chips. "It's better to be a pirate than join the navy." Not so....