or Connect

Posts by Inkling

The testimony isn't that significant. Large companies including Apple have 'just in case' projects. I worked on one for Boeing. They're intended for certain scenarios. If those situations don't develop, they don't see the light of day. There was a DRM battle going on at this time. Apple may have intended this software to retaliate against some other music vendors use of DRM.
To some extent the other smartphone makers are reaping what they've sown. Their products often have limited useful life with few, if any, OS upgrades. iPhones tend to have a useful life. I just bought a used iPhone, which is two versions back, and yet I expect to get at least two years of useful life out of it. United was simply investing for the long term. The tools to develop iOS apps, the possibility of have corporate-only versions of their software, and the fact that,...
undefined
This is depressing. Investing that much in California real estate ranks in folly up there with getting involved in a "land war in Asia." Eventually, the state's politicians will see only one way out of their budget difficulties, taxing their goose that lays golden eggs%u2014Silicon Valley high-tech. The state's agriculture has been crushed by environmentalists and drought. The only other industry in the state with deep pockets%u2014Hollywood%u2014is already moving...
The problem is that doing this push notification over (Red) fundraising is a bit too culturally Appleish. Apple seems to live in an affluent, coastal California bubble with little outside contact. Almost everyone who got that notification could point to a cause that they feel is in more desperate need of money than (Red) one that long been fashionable among the upscale to super-rich (i.e. Bono). What's Apple going to do about their wishes? Deny them, and they offend....
This is an interesting flip in the market. Apple moved to Intel to get the benefit of a large Windows market that drove chip development faster than Motorola/IBM. Now that it dominants the mobile market, it's flipping that around, going proprietary for its chips and doing its best to make sure its own purchases don't drive chip development for others. Sad, but I can recall going through cell phone after cell phone looking for one that wasn't an ill-designed piece of junk...
So the test involves a height of one meter (about three feet)? Two meters (six feet) would be more true to life, since it would simulate falling from a phone being held up to the head. Does Corning think that most smartphone users are little children? A friend working for a paper company was once given a task. Food aid overseas often went in bags they made, but the federal government was thinking of shifting to something stronger. His job was to experiment until he came...
undefined
Keep in mind the marvelous advantages the Creative Cloud offers to working professionals. The old sales model forced software companies to hold back new features. An enhancement might be up and running in January, but it had to be held back until December to give users a good reason to buy the expensive, full-digit upgrade. And a new feature that wasn't quite ready for the release date either shipped buggy or was delayed by a year or more. The new subscription model...
Still not good enough. My iPad 3, which has the hardware to support the continuity features still doesn't have the option to turn that on.