or Connect

Posts by Inkling

He's an interesting guy to listen to. Maybe Apple will put him to work creating helpful videos or podcasts.
undefined
Claiming that Apple could capture a 10% market share is hysterical. They're moving into a niche inside a niche with electric minivan. Even if they captured 100% of those sales, we're looking at well under 1% of the auto market. When I was studying engineering, we had an adage that "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." I suggested that some of our teachers wouldn't be all that great with real-life projects. There's a level beyond that, however, in that those who...
Nothing's changed that matters. Judging by the pictures, these new Apple stores will still be far too brightly lit just like the old ones. When I buy, I want to view what I'm considering in an environment like that I'll be using it in. That most emphatically isn't with banks of florescent lights overhead. I don't do brain surgery in my home office. ---- Does Apple really think it can repeat the iPod and iPhone phenomenas with the iWatch? If so, they're likely to be...
undefined
So only 23 states were enough to get acceptance by Apple? That points out an odd contrast. Guns, including concealed carry by most adults, are legal in all 50 states, with the few remaining city-level restrictions are rapidly being declared unconstitutional by our courts. Yet Apple has recently moved to ban the appearance of guns on iOS app icons. That matters because guns lie at the heart of the rights recognized by the Second Amendment. Events like those in the UK,...
Perhaps someone should hold a lottery for the date when this almost billion dollar investment is abandoned as a waste of money. My guess is ten years at the outside. With natural gas increasingly abundant and some predicting that oil will drop as low as $20 a barrel, perhaps we should call this Cook's Folly. When it comes to the environment, he seems to lack business sense. Squeezing to get a few pennies more profit out of Chinese suppliers and stealing business away from...
My hunch is that, if there is a Jobs-inspired Apple car in the works, it looks like that ridiculous yacht Jobs had built for himself. People and companies good in one field tend to be disasters in others because the expertise involved is different. Strengths in one area become weaknesses in another. Glass on an iPhone may little pretty. On a ship in stormy seas, it's utter folly. Boeing, for instance, is marvelous at building airplanes, but its effort to enter the...
There's an old military adage that runs: Order, counter-order, confusion." It means that in the heat of battle issuing radical changes can create more trouble than leaving that original order unchanged. Example: Order an attack, then order a retreat. Half your troops will attack, and half retreat, resulting in a disastrous attack and a disastrous retreat. Better perhaps to go with that attack and make the best of it. The equivalent for Apple might be "Revised product, new...
It's a beautiful building with only one major flaw. It's located in California with its bottom-of-the-nation business climate. When the state runs out of other businesses to tax, it'll turn to the only one left with money, the state's goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg. That's its high-tech industry, including Apple. With billions investing in corporate real estate and with many thousands of employees angry that their once-inflated home values are plummeting, Apple will be...