or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Those who think this troll shouldn't be forced to pay simply because Apple has so much money should think again. 1. Trolls make no such distinction between rich and poor. In fact, they make quite a bit of money from smaller companies who can't afford to fight them. If paying off Apple will weaken or destroy this company, all the better. They won't be able to bully little companies. 2. Some of these trolls incorporated in ways that leave them with very few assets to grab...
Quote: It's not about pop culture, and it's not about fooling people, and it's not about convincing people that they want something they don't. We figure out what we want. And I think we're pretty good at having the right discipline to think through whether a lot of other people are going to want it, too. That's what we get paid to do. So you can't go out and ask people, you know, what's the next big [thing.] There's a great quote by Henry Ford, right? He said, "If I'd...
I hope these teacher apps are not as terrible as the set of apps that Apple/IBM have created for nursing staff. That set seems to assume that nurses face the same issues as sales managers, issues that can be best solved by to-do lists. Nurses need tools that can help them work faster, not ones that overwhelm them with how much they have to do. A staff-to-staff communication tool, always with nurses, would save time. Time is what they need not long lists, pointless...
I'll begin to take all these companies seriously when they give us a public key encryption that's built-in and virtually automatic. Exchange a single set of emails with someone on whatever platform and, unless we choose otherwise, we've got encryption set up between us. In short, deeds matter more than words and promises. Give us the deeds not just speeches.
Yeah, thicker! End the tyrannous regime of thinness. Down with the artists. Up with the engineers. What Apple needs is a new line of products much like the white MacBooks and (until recently) the Mac mini. Deliberately indifferent to fads and styles, they're intelligently designed for practicality. Schools can buy them because upgrading them or fixing them takes just a few minutes. Parents with limited budgets will love them. My aging white MacBook illustrates that...
I'd second that suggestion that Jason Snell, formerly of MacWorld, be given the job. I hope the poster who says "that Apple News is a custom format that has to be authored much like iBooks" is wrong. I assume he means those special iBooks Author books. iBooks itself takes standard epub. I just sent iBooks my latest book, Senior Nurse Mentor (about nursing). Apple took the epub that Adobe created from the print version without a complaint. Amazon took that same epub and...
Now if Apple would just buy rights to the marvelous podcast listening tools in Overcast and license them to any and all.
As a book author, I'm impressed with Apple's willingness to offer generous payments to content creators when they deal directly with it. The iBookstore pays authors 70% of an ebook's retail prices at all prices from $0.99 to $199.99 with no download fees. In contrast, Amazon pays 70% only for ebooks priced in a narrow $7.00 window ($2.99 to $9.99). And within that $7.00 range, it charges such a hefty download fee, that actual payments to author may be only 60-65% of the...
Others might suspect something a bit more devious is going on here. At this moment, software development is one of the best paying middle-class occupations in this country. The executives for companies such as Apple and Google are less than happy about that. The more developers get, the less they get. There's abundant evidence that's how they think. One illustration was that illegal anti-poaching agreement involving Apple, Google and others. Their motive was obvious....
Good move by Apple. My only use for a laptop is writing in Scrivener when away. When the iOS version comes out, my current iPad can easily replace my aging white MacBook.