or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Thanks for the technical details. I left tech writing in the late 1980s, so my knowledge there is relatively rudimentary. I would add that getting rid of old emails does need some expertise. There can't be an old backup lying in some closet. There can't be an old hard drive that was pulled but still works erratically.    Obliterating email doesn't really apply to what I do: write, edit and publish books. But I am concerned about the downside of all this peeking and...
What's the most secure email application? Given how much trouble the big tech firms get into when their email is exposed in court, one that utterly and totally destroys every copy of that email after some period of time. Not just encryption... total oblivion. Does Good Technology offer that? One day I found a paralegal I know with a foot-high stack of paper in front of her. It was printed emails from a firm her law firm was suing and her job was to wade through that stack...
There's an interesting pattern to human behavior. The stronger someone stresses their honesty, the more likely it is that they're lying. You see that in the "honestly" of the ad above. Whoever created the ad must have known "it works for work" was a real whopper. Listen to speeches by Nixon, Clinton or Obama and, even if you know nothing else, you can spot their lies just by looking for what they emphasize. Repetition is another truth tester. In long, drawn out political...
To many, paying $3000 for a hearing aid sounds outrageous. After all, isn't it just a tiny sound amplifier? Done right, a hearing aid is actually much, much more than that, with a lot of speech processing in the more expensive models to make them work effectively. Prices can run up to twice as high as Apple's model. Here's a recent Consumer's Report description of the market: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/hearing-aids/buying-guide.htm It'll be interesting to...
The guys in marketing need to think about more that money. If someone's really interested in an Apple product, they'll wait a day or two. One major difference between Steve Jobs and Tim Cook is that the latter seems to have more of a heart. I suspect he doesn't throw yelling, screaming and cursing fits either. I graduated from Auburn University in electrical engineering a few years before Tim Cook graduated from there in industrial engineering. I'm now back in Auburn,...
Just-in-time manufacturing can save money, but you've got to be extremely careful not to single-source components. And that avoidance of single-sourcing means not even having them come from the same locale. If a quake or typhoon takes out the only factories making a key component, you're in big, big trouble. Sometimes I worry that our world is getting a bit too interconnected and interdependent. My father grew up on a farm where they grew or made almost everything they...
It is possible to use a cell phone in a crowded space without annoying people. I rode a bus sitting next to a young Asian woman who, I eventually noticed, was whispering very quietly on her phone. But on aircraft, we'll be stuck with loud-mouth salesmen who bellow loud enough to be heard across half the plane. Dealing with them would be a further burden on already hassled flight attendants. The FCC would be well-advised to keep this rule just to offer consistency for...
They spent 18 months evaluating and settled on a Windows 8 tablet from HP costing $741? Just imagine how bad their decision would have been it they're rushed it up.
There's quite a good reason for paying that Mac Tax and going with Apple. Not only are the OS X upgrades now free, you can trust them to be genuine improvements. Microsoft's only batting about 1 in 3 for new versions being actual improvements. I agree that Apple's probably not that threatened in the smartphone or tablet markets. There's a good reason for that. If you assume a 3-year life for a product (dad/mom for two years, the kids for one), Then paying an extra $200...
 Despite the enormous increase in the role of the federal government since FDR, most of what impacts our lives come from the states we live in. States exist in their own right, being merely federated into the national government. Cities and clusters of cities like Silicon Valley are creations of a state. The laws that matter--like those against murder, rape and assault--are state laws. The prisons and schools are funded by the state. If California goes bad--as indeed it...