or Connect

Posts by Inkling

Velcro badly place might add thickness. Velcro positioned perhaps to the sides rather than the bottom wouldn't. Remember this isn't Velcro used to attach a wing to a plane. It's used in an already heavily confined space just to prevent a tiny bit of movement. And I did note that other fasteners might be used. Almost anything but arc welding or reinforced concrete would be better than messy, difficult to remove glue. I studied electrical engineering at the same school,...
Yes, but Apple has made the Mac Pro much, much smaller  and lighter than its predecessor while also making it easy to work on. That demolishes the old argument that a high-end computer has to be large and noisy to be powerful. There's no reason the same can't be true for the feature set of the MBA. After all, I'm not advocating the removal of any features of the MBA. I'm simply saying that they could be arranged much better. For instance, my aging white MacBook isn't made...
An iFixtt score of 8. That is impressive. It confirms my hunch that Apple has designers smart enough to design modular, easy to repair or upgrade hardware. All they need is an incentive. If they'd do the same for the MacBook Air, I might finally upgrade--and so would many others. It wouldn't be that hard to create a MBA whose back is held on by Torx screws. Remove them and everything likely to need repair or upgrading would be visible. Even the battery could be held in...
At last, a freebie I like. From the trailer, Hugo sounds like it will be great and imaginative film.
Quote: "In Denmark we got a game: "Tiny Thief" - probably because we don't have TV Shows in the iTunes Store." Though I am stateside, Apple must think that I'm in Denmark too. My choice is Tiny Thief, a kid's game. Maybe that's because I've never bought a TV show. Couldn't Apple offer us something actually useful? They treat us like little twits needing to be distracted.
Gripe, gripe, gripe... Keep in mind why Apple is doing this. They've not undergone a Scrooge-like conversion to Lots of Free Stuff for Everybody. They know that quite a few people got iPads, iPhones and iPod touches this Christmas. They want to introduce them, targeted group by targeted group, to Apple's lucrative ecosystem, particularly iTunes. December 26th may not be about your group, but your day will probably come. --Michael W. Perry, Across Asia on a Bicycle
Hopefully these Turkish politicians won't be that foolish. As the problems with iPads in LA schools demonstrate, we've yet to sort out how to handle school-based tablets in this country. In poorer countries, the money will end up being a terrible waste. Making technology school-based is the key problem. School teachers are not particularly tech-literate, meaning huge training costs for them. And school-owned tablets create all sorts of issues, including who is responsible...
I should have made it clear that the camera is rotated manually. There'd be no motor for software to drive.
There's actually an easy fix that should work with most laptops and make them more versatile. Allow the camera to rotate 180 degrees inside its housing. Forward for conference calling, rotated 90 degrees to look inside the housing and thus be inoperable, and rotated a further 90 degrees to record a classroom instructor. No firmware tweak can work around something physical.
Wow, still more channels for Apple TV! Yet more reasons not to buy a box that sucks your life away. I've not read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, but I suspect I agree with his point, as Publishers Weekly put it, "that television represents a hostile attack on literate culture." I've noticed a distinct difference in the kids of friends who don't have a television. Their kids are much more inquisitive and much better at keeping themselves busy and active. It's...